Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gear Dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shreave, Jun 21, 2004.

1. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    So, I'm thinking about replacing my Aguilar 659 preamp with an Ashdown ABM RPM-1 preamp. I just found out though that the 659 I bought used for $450 is now worth $1250 new! Now I don't know if I should sell it.

What do you think? Is is worth keeping a piece of gear just because it's worth a lot? I guess it comes down to whether I can AFFORD to keep it or not.

The 659 is worth $500-$600 used to me and the Ashdown is $699 new.

I know myself and will probably stick it in the closet and rarely if ever use it after I get the Ashdown. I'm just worried that I'll regret it later.

2. Maybe try and trade someone for a RPM-1 instead of selling it?

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Sell it. Worth is no reason to just keep a piece of gear you're not happy with.

And the RPM-1 kicks ass, much more versatile and tubey than the 659 IMHO.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Funny how the RPM-1 could be more "tubey" since it only has one tube and is mostly solid state while the 659 has nothing BUT tubes :rolleyes:

Anyway, my advice is to keep it for a while just in case you get buyer's remorse or you decide that the RPM isn't really what you were looking for.

If after six months or a year you haven't changed your mind, then sell off the 659.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah it is pretty funny, but true.

I tend to trust my ears rather than just going off the specs. :rolleyes:

You can hear them both for yourself at www.basstasters.com

6. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    QUICK QUESTION: How do you judge what is more of a tubey sound?, and what does "tubey" mean to you?

(nothing mentioned above was sarcastic)

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i would like other opinions on this as well.

i used to have a 100 W Fender Guitar combo with eleven tubes in it, and that thing felt like it was breathing, like it was alive.
    then i would turn on the all solid state Crate combo and it would sound very sterile, like there was no real thickness or substance to the sound.

i havent played through a tube bass power amp in so long that i dont remember what they sound like.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    That's a tough one - it's not like the word "tubey" means anything concrete - that's why I would encourage you to go to basstasters.com and listen for yourself.

To me however, "tubey" sound reflects a looser, juicier, and thicker sound than SS. Sometimes tube preamps are dark/smooth (alembic, kern), sometimes they are bright/quick (demeter), but they usually have a lot of texture in the midrange, depth in the lows, and a sheen on the top. Most SS preamps sound a little more "sterile", but I actually tend to prefer that sterile sound because it's tighter and cuts better - in general. There's always exceptions.

It's really not the presence of tubes that will make a amp/preamp sound a certain way - it's the design, and how those tubes (or lack thereof) are put to use.

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Powerful, thick, with a definite kick to the sound. When I A/B a proaudio poweramp with the Aguilar DB728, the DB728 is definitely less flat, but it's got this great low-end grunt that I have yet to hear anywhere else... except maybe on an old SVT.