Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gear for a beginner

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by theuzedrk, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Lately I've been toying with the idea of getting into photography as a hobby. Ideally I would like to do pictures for bands(IE: live and promo photos).
    I'm new to this, other than the usual point and shoot with a cheapo 35mm or digital.
    This is what I'm thinking of for a beginning setup.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel...yZ107918QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I'd buy just a body and a different lens, but I'm on a budget and this seems to be the best deal I can find. I can always upgrade the lens once I get better.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I've done two searches on here and already I have picked up some good advice.:help:

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I believe the topic should be "camera gear for a beginner", but anyways..

If you are set on a film camera, the Rebel is a good beginner camera as far as I know. All lenses and accessories good for the Rebel should work with different Digital Rebels, too, and as Canon has been a large brand for a while, there is plenty of 2nd hand stuff around.

The question is, IMO, do you have an access for a darkroom and a scanner, and can get materials for cheap? One roll of 30 is a couple of bucks and developement perhaps 5-10 at a store. Most guys do it themselves to save some cash and for hobbys sake, but you have to spend an hour developing it, and usually after that transfer the images to a computer too. This is why going straight for digi is often a sensible option - it removes a lot of transfer work and when you want prints, just hit the "send" button.

But otherwise, film isn't bad. Some people even say it's the right thing to begin with, to learn "real" photography. But anyways, once you are set with the camera, usually the local bands are more than happy to have their gig pics taken. Contact them, explain that you are a inexperienced photographer and would like to try taking a few pics on their next gig and ask if they want to put you on the guest list. After a few times, if the results are satisfactory, you can start asking a few bucks for your expenses and troubles too.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I would consider digital... like older 300d or even d60

thats what i am considering right now...

4. Thanks for the help.
    I have nothing against digital I just prefer film. If I could get my hands on a decent, but cheap, digital that will do what I want it to I would. For now I just want to start off with the basics and film just seems to be the best bet for me. If it turns out I'm not very good then at least I won't have a ton of money invested into it!
    No access to a darkroom, but most likely I could develop pictures at work if needed. We have a room where we make screens for signs that might work.
    I'm still debating as to what I'm going to do. I have car insurence to pay so now I'm reconsidering a camera.
    Once again, thanks for the help!
    I'll post again when I decide what to do.

Sorry about the title, I was tired when I posted the thread last night.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah, I can see the point about digital vs. film. I actually thought about film because it is cheaper but what turned me away from film was that I can’t really check what I took a picture of. With digital after I’ve taken a picture I can look at it and see if I would like to retake it or not. With film I won’t know until I’ve developed them.

Money wise, I hear you :) as that is the reason I don’t have the camera yet.

Interesting thing too, Olympus newer digital SLR E-330 is kind of neat as it has LCD viewer pointer so you can look on a big screen of what you are taken picture of. Kind of neat but I wonder if its worth going for over canon just because of small feature like that. Plus Olympus is cheaper :) seen them go for $300 for e-300 model on eBay. However Canon has much better selection of lenses :/ choices choices.

That’s what I liked about living in Soviet Union; you just get THAT, the only thing that is available, no need to think. :)

Good luck dude
    Cheers

6. Just a couple of minutes ago I pulled the trigger on a used Canon EOS ELAN II E w/EF28-80 MM f/3.5-5.6iii. I paid $180 with shipping, so I stayed in a price range that I can handle. Sure it doesn't come with all the bells and whistles the Rebel kit did, but those are things I can add later.
    From reading on the internet I discovered that this would be a better camera, even used, than the brand new Rebel.
    I think I'll start out with some simple color photos and paying to get them developed. Once I get a little better I'll get some b&w and perhaps start developing my own.

Thanks to all those who helped!:hyper:

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
  8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Kserg, we have plenty of photographers importing old Russian lenses around here. I think the same optics factories are still running than 30 years ago! M/45 bayonett I think. They are dirt cheap, often solidly built and have decent quality when it comes to optics - but of course will work only with older manual cameras.

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
  10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Hehe, I never said anything about quality, I just said you didn’t have choice in stores. :)

Some things we made were actually very decent but they were usually very hard to find.

Oh and, you know why Russian bicycles were bullet proof right and build to last? Well my bike was made on a tank plant. When ever there was some defect they would send it down to bike manufacture which was located in same building and the bikes were built out of tank parts. :) It was one awesome bike! Heavy but unbreakable.

Cheers

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If you will be doing band photography, then you will need a LARGE flash in order to take decent pictures inside a darkened club. A small flash simply won't due, you will need to spend some money a get a large one. Your local camera shop (not Wolff) can show you some options.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

What kind of backwards state do you live in? In real world there is only WOLFF! :)