Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gear fund or credit card?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 29, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How do you budget your spending on gear?

I personally throw all the cash in an old Electro-Harmonix wooden box (I have about eight of them in my room, so good luck guessing which one has the cash LOL) and put all the money in there that I get from selling gear, doing setups, plus the weekly $20 donation that goes in. I try ONLY to spend from there, but will use a credit card in an emergency.

How do you budget yourself for GAS?

2. For me it's quite easy.... Awesome gear, straps , bags, amps, chords, or rent... Sadly getting paid near minimum wage is like a kick in the head... As far as buying gear is concerned.. I have plenty of aspirations though.. I have a sum o piggy bank where I put dollars and twoonies in the hope that it will add up :bassist:

3. save for it.
    credit cards are WAAAYYYY too dangerous for a bass player. :p

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen.

5. :rollno: Unfortunately I speak from experience :meh:

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I only buy new (to me) gear with money from gigs or sold gear. My "Nine-to-Five" pays for all of my living expenses.

IME, unless you find some unreal "blowout" deal, or some other deal that's way too good to pass-up, for something that you need, The gear that you're GASing for will still be around after you have saved enough money to buy it...

7. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    In my experiance when you save up for it you usually either find it cheaper or realise that you don't like want it anyhow.

8. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    CASH.

I'm trying to be debt free if possible.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

This is what I do as well. Fortunately, I am gigging ALOT lately. In the past year with this band, I have made more money gigging than all my current gear is worth. I stuff it in an envelope and save for new stuff.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have 2 basses, a big amp and a l'il amp, 4 chords, a mic and cable, and two stands. I don't need gear.

I only have to buy a pickup and better endpin for my upright, (but then I'll have one, and won't need another).

I do have to regularly buy strings for the upright, but that's it.

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Well its easy to stick to my budget right now because I'm a broke college student. The GAS will hit hard and fast in a month or so when I start work AND sell my house....

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I always buy gear with cash. If I can't afford to pay the whole thing up front, I'll put it on lay-away. This way here, I'll want to pay it off faster to play it sooner.

Credit cards serve their purpose. I use them for paying things like monthly server fees. This way here, I'm never late with a payment, and my server is always up. But I never use them for gear.

It's way to easy to put something on a credit card. Look at credit cards this way, If you had the cold hard cash in your hands, would you really want to spend it? Spending over a grand on a card is just one swipe. But handing over a wad of cash should make you think twice about it.

13. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Since I graduated from college, I have had the luxury of being able to quickly save for whatever gear I need or want.

However, it was not always like this and I used to do whatever it took within the boundaries of the law to get what I needed. Overtime, credit cards, dump high maintenance girlfriends, eat macaroni & cheese 7 days a week, sell belongings, my soul....whatever.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You're also not human.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    But I honestly don't know what I have to have!

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Everything you don't need, really.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh.

18. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    This forum.....this needs to be stickied on every forum

19. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Well, as to how I do it, I just sold my tuba for one. Once the fellow I sold it to on sends me his final payment I'll be giving Mr. Schroeder and message about building me a cabinet.

But that was what I was doing a month ago. Now I have two jobs. Working 50+ hours a week. Souly. Soley. Sooly? for the purpose of buying better gear. I cannot and will not allow myself to blame my deficiencies (sp?) on my gear any longer. I put an end to that now.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good to hear guys. I just realized I'm $1200 in debt, mostly NOT due to gear purchasing. But I must pay it off, then continue onto the gear.