1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gear hire in LA/Hollywood?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punkjazzben, Jul 2, 2012.

1. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Hi all,

I'm in a band here in Australiia and we have been invited to LA for a few weeks in August to do some gigs around town.

We're working out options for gear and would like to get prices for how much it might cost to hire, at least, guitars and a bass, with a possibility of hiring a drum kit and amps if a venue hasn't got any.

So who has got some suggestions for gear hire in LA or Hollywood? Or are any generous TBers willing to lend a hand with equipment?

Cheers
    Ben

2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
  3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    S.I.R. will definitely have whatever you need. I'm not from LA, but I've done a good amount of fly dates out there, and the production crew always got backline from them. I really couldn't tell you how competitive the pricing is, because that wasn't my department. I'd imagine that since it's LA it'll be a little more than it would be anywhere else in the states.

4. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks for that advice. Other people have told me to just bring my own bass because it will be cheaper than hiring for two weeks in LA.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    www.sir-usa.com will get you to the Los Angeles locations. You can call or email and get estimates on what you need. SIR is probably not the cheapest and they don't always have the best examples of certain gear, but they've been doing the rental thing forever in LA, and they can make it easy. Although for the cost two weeks rental you could probably just buy much of the gear, unless they give you a killer package deal.

6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks for the advice B-String. Looking at prices over in the US it seems that I could just buy a bass cheaper than it would cost to either take my own or hire for two weeks.

7. Another source in LA is Center Staging.They should also be able to meet your gear requirements.Contact Kerry Jenkins.

John

8. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    We've been given a reasonable quote for a Precision and a Tele for the duration of our stay.

Any idea what condition they'll be in?

9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In my opinion, better than SIR.

10. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Cool thanks, we will get quotes from Center Staging as well. Still plenty of time (I think) as we head off in August 13.

Venues have been confirmed, dates are in the works. We're playing at Watermans, Boogaloo, Patrick Molloys, Whitehouse, The Viper Room, and House Of Blues. I know the latter two have backlines, but I suppose we'll be in contact with the other venues, unless anyone here already knows these places?

11. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Bump.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me about the backline at these venues, or anything about them in general?

12. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    http://www.swinghouse.com/index.php

This was the best place to rehearse years ago (all top bands that didn't like the sterility of SIR) and I'm sure that they do rentals/cartage as well.