Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gear industry: let's hear it for the good guys!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Probably been done, but I want to use the power of the internet for good and not its usual evil. :D I'd like everyone to please follow a few rules:

1) Manufacturers only... well, no retailers/vendors, simply because I've seen a number of threads in which props were given to them.

2) First-hand experience only! I don't wanna hear about what you know from others, even if it's your best friend, instructor, local bass hero, or mommy. :) YOU had an issue (or not?), and YOU received excellent customer service. That's what I want to hear.

3) No negativity, please. Yeah, "bad guys" should also get their due, but not here, don't wanna go there, things could get ugly.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ok, I'll start:

Michael Tobias (MTD, natch). The batteries were quickly draining on the pre-owned 535 I'd just bought. Within a few emails he determined the cause of the problem. Fortunately the fix was super-easy even for me, but he made it clear that he wanted my problem to be solved ASAP regardless. He managed to keep in touch even when he was in Germany.

Jim Bergantino: a pleasure to talk to this man. Always wants to know a user's specific gear and needs so he can base his recommendations accordingly; always wants to hear user feedback whether positive, negative, or in-between. Maybe one day I'll have some non-positive feedback for him... :)

Mike Lull: custserv guy Roger Gee is always quick to answer questions and comments.

Warwick/Dana B. Goods: I couldn't be happier with responses I've received to requests for information.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Ken Smith, I bought a used Burner and it was missing one of the screws for the control plate, I emailed and Ken Smith promptly sent a replacement, I know it's not a big thing or anything but it's nice that they did that. I mean I did buy the bass used so Ken was making absolutely no money off of me and had absolutely no obligation about the state of that bass as I found it.

4. Hartke. I had an input jack on my 3500 go to poop, I called then and they send out 2 replacements in a week. Just had to desolder the old ones, and replace them. And I bought the sucker used! Samson/Hartke service works great. Thumber uppper!

But I sold it later...the product wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

5. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Dave from Avatar Speakers. Besides selling awesome cabs at low prices he is the nicest guy I have ever met that was selling me something.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Martin Petersen Sei bass and the Gallery

Worked with me over a period of time to get a Stingray 5. I wanted a second hand one. He found one. It hand a maple neck. I changed my mind and wanted a new one. We ordered a natural one but it was backlogged. He found 4 basses but I wanted black. He found a black one, let me try it, set it up for me and asked me to come back in 6 months for a free set up.

Whilst in the shop a bloke brought in a Wal bass on approval from another shop to see if any good. Instead of verbally kicking his butt Martin took the bass downstairs and set it up.

When I took the SR5 for it's free set up I asked him re a Thumb fretless I hand found with a trade in deal. He told me to go for the deal and let me play the Warwick Thumb fretless he had in stock to get used to fretless basses while he set up the SR5.

Great bloke

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bag End. Everyone I've dealt with has been fantastic, and no request is too small or too weird.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Tech 21 has superb customer service. I lost a little plastic nut to the BDDI input, they sent me sleeve of them and a letter saying thanks for using their products. I had a question about a product I was thinking of buying (Tri -A.C.) that was sort of technical, so one of the designers called me back. Very cool.

9. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Lakland: I've e-mailed them a couple of times with questions about my Skyline Joe Osborn, and Dan Lakin has responded promptly and taken the time to make sure my issues get resolved. He recently sent me a pair of replacement strap buttons free because I lost the originals.

Sadowsky: I don't own one (yet) but I've had e-mail exchanges and one phone conversation with Roger, and he's been happy to answer all my stupid questions.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Michael Pedulla

[​IMG]

That says it all...and it's totally true.
    There is no questioning the quality put into each instrument.

And Christine of course...customer service.
    Never fails to call back/email in response to the smallest inquiry, question, concern, whatever.

I actually had to get a repair done for something I did to the bass. It was quick, inexpensive, and uncomplicated. It was also backed up with a letter from Michael to document that the work had been done by him personally and the bass was as good as new.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OOOOhhh...

I'll play along (I get to talk to lotsa these guys! :D)

In no particular order:

Mike Tobias, Joe Zon, Keith Roscoe, Dan and John @ Lakland, Dale Titus @ Warwick/Dana B. Goodes, Dan McPhearson @ Ernie Ball/MusicMan, PJ Rubal @ Spector/NS Design/Aguilar, Dave & Ned @ NS Design
    Jill Azola, Rob Elrick, Anderson Page & Rich Ross @ Modulus, Rick Turner, Sue & Mica @ Alembic, and the list goes on and on and on and on and.....

12. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Ashdown Engineering - Extremely Helpful

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I can't believe I didn't mention:

Roger Sadowsky
    The whole crew at Fodera

I should be horse-whipped...

:(

14. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Alembic-Mica is always there to answer any question, whether you buy new or used.

Lakland- Dan responded to my email enquiry & offered to rectify a possible situation(minor) with my preowned (months old) HB.

Brubaker- again, a preowned 3 year old bass - Kevin & Leroy offered to rectify a situation (minor) without hesitation.

All 3 are very accessible & very helpful.

15. I bought a new mtd 535, and after a couple of months it began with a problem on the bass electronics, mostly the bass pre-amp and potentiometers. He answer all my questions through email, very fast and in a efficient way. And even though I live in South Ameria, he shipped to my pobox in miami, all the components (the complete electronics, excluding pickups since they were working perfectly) that needed to be replace, for free. He also included all the indications of how to re install the electronics.

Excellent service and excellent bass, reason why mtd is one of the best brands. He surely deserves more than just two thumbs up:)

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Boss Australia for re-wiring my EQ-20 Eq for me. thanks guys.

17. My props go to Gary Gibilisco at Euphonic Audio. I've owned tons and tons of gear in my lifetime, but EA was the best of the best in terms of customer service. I bought one of their iAMPS from a dealer on ebay and it arrived dead. The dealer was completely not helpful and I was a little worried that I'd be without an amp. I got in touch with EA at their 800 number and they went to great lengths to make sure that I had an amp right away. Awesome!

Also, I mentioned in a thread here at TB that I'd sold my Dingwall and I got a message from Sheldon Dingwall asking if there was anything I felt needed improvement. I didn't, by the way--I just had a bunch of basses all at once! That was still a very cool gesture that I'll remember for a long time.

18. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sadowsky- Roger& Co. treated me great.

Mouradian Guitars- A great outfit, they always take care of me.

David Gage- Great shop, great staff.

19. Matt Schmill. I dropped a can opener on my first FBB ( :rolleyes: ) and he was kind enough to sand out the dent, free of charge--all the while putting up with answering idiotic questions from two freshman girls who were hitching a ride to Boston in my car.

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned Rehan Jacobs of SWR yet, his service, attention, and friendliness is the best I have experienced with ANY kind of product. His service, along with their superior products insures me as an SWR customer for life!

Also props out to Stuart Spector, and PJ Rubal....also great guys willing to answer anything!