Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[Gear pic] Thanks for the recommendations!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MBIYF, May 9, 2005.

1. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]

• FMR Really Nice Compressor
      I use it for very mild compression and signal boost to get the maximum grind out of the Ampeg preamp
    • Ampeg SVP-CL
    • Crest CA6
      1500 Watts bridged to 4 Ohms
    • SWR Goliath SR
      5,33 Ohms and 1000 Watts RMS

Last year I started upgrading my rig, getting this together costed me a year time of saving and checking gear. I couldn't try everything here in the Netherlands, so I've searched this forum for opinions about every single item before buying. I got the cab last Saturday.

The rig turned out hiss and hum-less, versatile and very very loud.

You guys rock! :smug:

Thanks a lot from a happy camper. :hyper:

2. Very Nice indeed- I'm actually looking at getting a new head to go with my new currently building cabs... So I know how you feel about all the searching- We dont have much in Australia either.

Question, Can you take a close up pic of the Rack Unit- and Amps/Preamps etc... in it :) I'm dying to know what the Ampeg SVP-CL has on the front of it.

Thanx and enjoy! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
    -Cul

3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    congrats on the rig...

time for me to upgrade soon... :)

4. nice :)

love the atk there too, must sound amazing

5. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    great stuff man, I also run a RNC in my rack! do you run it in the SVP-PRO's FX loop (if it has one).. I run mine through my Sansamp RBI's' FX loop just as a limiter.

also just wondering what does your rack weigh in at? looks like it would be around the 30kg mark? That is one sweet ass cab mate!

6. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Thanx dudes!
    (Now only if I could play. :) )

I have the SVP-CL, which doesn't have a loop. So I run it in front of it. Works for me. :)

I think it's 35 Kilograms. Honestly: I don't want to know how much it weighs. I don't have to move it often so it's all fine with me. But I might buy a class D amp later. A lot later, I'm friggin' broke! :D

Sure Cul,

Here's a fresh one, the sharpest I could get. All the controls are on this. Still needs a tuner and maybe a wireless reciever. Now it's simple, versatile yet moron-proof (perfect for me).

[​IMG]

Hmmmnnnnn, greeeeeeeeeeen...

[​IMG]

7. Thats really nice man, visually stunning also.

What kind of sound do you get with the Ampeg (known for thick and warm) running through the SWR (known for clean)?

By the way, GORGEOUS ATK!

8. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    atk basses rock tha casba!!!

this was a word from an atk user!!!

ps: MBiyf if you wan to kick your atk to high gear, try upgrading the pickups with bassculture.de pickups, they're all maple and the owner build a custm atk model... with this, you could easily kill a stingray!!!

9. I recon an ATK sounds better than a stingray any day, i know ppl will disagree tho

10. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Thanks.
    Because the SWR sounds clean, I hear the sound of my bass and preamp. That Ampegy "nnrrghh" in the mids supported with a tight low end. A lot of clank as well.

WHOA! Thanks for that link, lowmid. :cool:

11. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    For sore the atk wit atk with Pups will newer beat the mighty ray but with the custom pickups from bassculture, These really kick high gear!!! the major improvement for the atk line!!!
    i'm trying to get hold one a 300 series in order to customize it for me, my luthier has one , so if he still has it maybe i'll try....
    I have the 400 actually, great but the mahogany boday ifs definitly warmer and bassier, i'd prefer the ash sound of the 300 series

12. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    a custom atk Pup costs about 140 euro delivered I think

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Nice rig. Congratulations.

14. Do you happen to have any pics of your ATK 400 by any chance? I'd love to see it! I've been wanting to see a nice ATK 400.

15. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I've used a similar rig in the past...Very nice!

If you ever think about upgrading in the future be sure to check out www.hevos.nl

Shouldn't be to far away.

16. I didnt know the 2 atk series ( 300 and 400 ) were different bodied woods,i thought it was just the 400 also had the jazz style neck pup

17. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    There are pretty differences between the two models: 400 has 24 frets, a jazz PU and a mahogany body with ash top While 300 has 22 frets, only a MM and full ash body that's a little bit bigger in size. also, the bridge is different, becaus of the jazz PU thats forces the MM to move backwards to the bridge.

18. Congratulations on an awsome rig.

The green leds look great but, didn't anyone here let you in on the secret of blue leds. That is, that they are the best sounding led you can get. ;) j/k :bag:

Any way thanks the great pics of your rig.

Regards

Matthew

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I bet the Ampeg pre compliments the Goliath Sr. really well -- should be a good synergistic combination.

20. Looking funky! Thats an awesome looking setup, I must say I have turned rather green with envy :ninja:

I have been looking at Ampeg gear as mentioned above... Today I found out the price of the SVT 3 & 4Pro :confused: I dont think I will be able to afford them anytime soon... A big positive though, the Ampeg SVT Pro & SVT CL preamps are much cheaper than I though they would be.

So Now I am stuck between an

Ampeg SVT Pro or Ashdown RMP1 preamp with a power amp to drive my new homemade cabs (currently building).