Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gear Question for Michael

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Mark Gollihur, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Hi Michael;

I've been a longtime fan ever since I "discovered" you live playing with Montreux some 10 or so years ago. :eek:

I just saw you play in Trenton NJ with Scott McGill and Vic Stevens for the NEARFest PreShow (My two guitarists both study with Scott McGill) and I was interested in the gear you were using, if you're willing to share. ;)

Your gear setup seemed fairly simple; the Eden head and 4x10, and some sort of processor. I noticed you had what appeared to be an expression pedal that you used occasionally. I noticed that you particularly made use of it while using your eBow.

How does this pedal function? Is it assignable per patch? Were you adding some gain or overdrive to allow the eBow's attack and sustain to be magnified? What sort of processor were you using?

By the way, the show was really great. I knew what to expect from you and Scott, but Vic really threw me for quite a loop as well.

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for coming to the show and for your comments. We were playing some pretty bizarre music that night so I really appreciate your kind words!

The only thing I bring with me on the road other than my basses these days is a Boss VF1 processor. I travel alone, usually by air so I have to keep my gear to an absolute minimum. I'm a long time SWR user and would love to bring my SWR rig with me everywhere, but the airlines just don't look too kindly on that kind of thing – not to mention NYC taxi drivers, French trains or the Tokyo subway system! A friend of Scott's very graciously loaned the Eden rig to me for the evening.

Because of this I try to find gear that does a lot yet is small and light, and at a half rack space size, the VF1 does quite nicely. I'm pretty nerdy and I program all my own sounds on the VF1. It has an expression pedal input in the back, which I use to control different parameters for each patch. Most of the Ebow dynamics come just from using different techniques with the Ebow itself. I generally use the expression pedal to control things like chorus speeds, reverb lengths, input levels to different effects, modulation frequencies – that kind of stuff.

Hope that helps!
    Michael

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Thanks, Michael. Shame I didn't know - I'd have dragged my Goliath Jr. and Big Ben up to Trenton for ya! ;)

Addendum: I was kind of hoping, within the context of having a killer drummer and guitar player, that you had taught Vic and Scott a track or two off of Thonk, but no such luck... :D Regardless, it was a very compelling show and it was great to see you so up close and personal (I was pretty much right in front of you for the whole show, wearing the black Kevin Gilbert shirt.)

4. hey Michael,

this is Stew in New Orleans. hope all's been well. I was just wondering if you still keep the ADA preamp in the studio and if so what you think of it? I'm putting together a monster rig to go with the 8 string behemoth and the preamp is the last linkin the chain. thanks for the time,

from the low end,

Stew

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    How do you find airlines are with basses??? Do they let you take them on board with you??? Or do you have to put it in the baggage hold????

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Stew -- good to hear from you! I do still have my ADA preamp, although it stays at the home studio these days. It's a very nice piece of gear. I love the programmability, it's pretty hi-fi and it has some great features but it does kind of have a sound of its own, so you might want to give it a try before you buy it.

PICK – I've been pretty lucky with the airlines so far. I've been taking three basses with me for about the last 12 years; two fretless Zons and one little Steinberger style Zon. The headless is small enough to go in the cabin, but I have to check the other two. I think solid body instruments are relatively tough (at least compared to acoustic instruments), and the Zons a little more so, because they have composite necks. In my opinion a good case is key. I've tried several cases over the years and lately I've been very happy with the one that Modern Case made for me (www.moderncase.com).