1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gear Questions for an SG Bass (11 Year Old Daughter)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteelPastor, Oct 5, 2013.

1. SteelPastor

SteelPastor

Jun 27, 2005

My daughter is 11. She has been playing piano for 5 years and I have been helping her with guitar for the last year or so. Although, my wife and I are both musicians... I wish I had her chops when I was eleven!

Here's the deal... our youth worship team will need a bass player at the end of the school year. My daughter REALLY wants to play. It would also allow her an outlet for piano and guitar (and voice) as well. I believe she could be easily ready by next June (at least functional).

I found a great deal on a Gibson SG Bass (natural flame top) that I think will work great for her... 30.5" short scale. I'm really digging it (oh, I mean, my DAUGHTER is really digging it!). LOL.

Now, a few questions...

1. The strings that came on the bass were fine until yesterday when the E string unraveled at the tuner. My guess is that they cut down a long scale set of strings. I now need a new set of strings. I am thinking about going with the LaBella Deep-Talkin' Flat Wound Extra Light (39-96) Short Scale 760FX-S – 32″ Ball-End to Silk. Thoughts?

2. The intonation is off a bit, so I am going to have it set up right with the new strings and a Hipshot SuperTone bridge at the same time. (Got these suggestions from the Strings Forum... thank you.)

3. The GK amp I have been using is now dead... boat-anchor dead. I need some suggestions for a good used combo... maybe a 2x10 or 2x12? Maybe an MK MB212 or 112 or 115?

Any suggestions for a guitar player who is helping his daughter learn bass would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    how about a carvin b10? carvinguitars.com

3. Earplugs. Those rigs you're looking at make plenty of loudness if given a nudge.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Virtually ANY good bass combo will do. It'll come down to you or your daughters tonal preferences. Best would be to take the daughter, and the bass out amp shopping. Something in the 100 watt 1x15 package should do well.

5. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    The LaBellas sound great on the SG. But, I have found that my favorite strings on my 2006 SG are D'Addario black nylon tapewounds. They are brighter than flats but more forgiving than rounds. Great with fingers or pick. I think your daughter would love them.

As for amps, I agree that the combos you have mentioned are likely much too loud for a beginner. I would think about something with a small footprint that she could keep in her bedroom. The Acoustic 260 mini rig is a really good practice/small gig amp. I also like the Ampeg Micro AV with the 2x10 cab. Fender Rumble 150 is pretty worthy too. Take her to your local Guitar Center and let her demo a few.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'd agree about the size of the amp. It's not just volume but portability. It should be something that an 11-year-old can move around, so they can kinda take their share of responsibility for it.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good advice here.^^

Another thing to think about is not have to move up to bigger amp in just a few months when she's far enough along to start playing with groups, friends, family, etc.

Something like the MB112 should be compact/light enough she can move her own gear and will still make enough noise to hang with a drumset, guitar player, etc. Volume knobs go down as well as up for bedroom practice.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Another thing is to have her there with you helping to do the strings, setup, etc. Teach her how all the equipment works, how to care for it, get the most out of it, etc.

9. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Rumble 150 Combo brand new is only $350. Sounds great and is plenty loud enough to jam with a drummer. Reliable & road-worthy with a 5 year warranty.

10. MechEngr

MechEngr

Jun 26, 2007
    Ohio
    The Ampeg mini-SVT rig with its 2x10 cab is an awesome piece of gear for small and medium-ish venues.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1

12. SteelPastor

SteelPastor

Jun 27, 2005

I will be looking for an amp that will be sufficient for stage use... it will stay set up along with the drums and keyboard, etc. That is one issue... I have some time for this one. This will likely be used... maybe a GK 212 or 115 or something similar. A XLR/DI out is a must. Once I have this, some of her lessons and practice will take place at the church.

The second question is for something at home that will allow decent sound, an input for another source (CD, iPhone, etc.) and headphone option. There are also some video helps out there as well.

I almost forgot... I also have a Roland KC500 keyboard amp (15 and horn) in my office. I haven't used it lately but I am sure it works fine. Could maybe make this work for a bit for home use or at the church while we figure something else out.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Roland will "work", but I never use mine with bass because it's too clean and sterile. For a home practice amp, look at the Ampeg BA112.