Gear Ratio the Same, Still Worth Replacing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by selowitch, May 6, 2018.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I'm somewhat idly considering replacing the Gotoh GB7s in my Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass with Hipshot HB6 3/8" Ultralite tuners but since the listed gear ratio is the same, am I likely to see the same performance after the change? I am not thrilled by the somewhat flimsy feel of the GB7s but there's nothing really "wrong" with them.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have an Urge I as well. Mine holds tune perfectly with the stock tuners, and I have no trouble getting it in tune, so the is no reason to upgrade the ones on my bass.

I have seen GB7 and GB-7 style tuners grind up the little plastic washer separating the key from the bass. The still work just fine after that, but they feel like they grind a little when you turn them. If I had that problem, I might replace them, but otherwise I would not.

selowitch likes this.
  3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yeah, maybe it's better to just leave the stock ones in.

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Part of the "performance" of the Hipshots is that they weigh a bunch less. so I'd argue that most of the time, yes, the Hipshots will perform better.

5. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Is the tuning stability likely to be improved if I switched over to the Hipshots?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    No. Any halfway decent tuner will be stable. If you are having tuning drift issues, I advise you to look elsewhere.

96tbird likes this.
  7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Such as?

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The Gotohs just "feel" a little flimsy to me ... and when using a Snark tuner, it is a little difficult to get the tuning right dead in the middle of the note. That, of course, could be an intonation issue and not a tuner issue per se.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Or it could be a Snark issue. I kept having trouble with Snark(s) so i bought a Korg clip on for bass. Problem solved. I should mention i had the same Snark problem on all my MIM and MIA j basses, but the Snark worked fine on an Ibanez Jet King.

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Bridge anchor points, bridge saddles, nut slots, witness points.

96tbird and Zooberwerx like this.
  11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The cheap Squier classic vibe tuners (which are actually quite nice) I have on my two classic vibes work as stable as my Hipshots.
    Because all the things Turnaround mentioned are address on my basses. They are lower ratio but my Hipshots Do NOT make hitting pitch any easier IME. That target is so fine that the extra 3 or 4:1 ratio of the Hipshots doesn't really help me hit the target, but geez they’re nicely made.

Any fairly good tuner will be stable if you address the points above and ALWAYS tune UP to pitch, never back down if you overshoot.

12. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Good advice. In my experience, this is a very significant point.