Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gear reviews

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fookgub, Mar 7, 2006.

1. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Has anyone noticed how annoying positive most gear reviews are? I'm not talking about magazines and such, I'm talking about reviews you find all over the internet from people that have (usually recently) bought a piece of gear. Here's a fun experiment: go to Harmony Central, pick a random piece of gear, and read its reviews. All 9's and 10's... maybe an occasional 7 or 8. I know everyone wants to feel good about their new gear, but come on, show a little objectivity.

Here's a stellar review I ran across on music123.com
    Now, I'm trying to research a piece of gear. Find out what it's like because stores around here don't carry it.... how does this review help me?

[/rant]

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Uh, you think that review you quoted *might* have been a little tongue-in-cheek?:)

3. I agree with Fookgub, finding an objective review is next to impossible, take into account though that typically, those reviewing just drop their cash on the instrument and for the sake of justification, wish to view their purchase as a wise one.

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think even worse would be the review where someone just raves about something and how great it is and the very next review has someone saying what a P.O.S. it is.
    Is it good? Is it bad? What?:confused:

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i reviewed both of the basses that i've owned and gave them scores while taking into account their background (price, age, etc...). the Carvin i reviewed was 10 years old, and i scored it accordingly. the Ibanez i reviewed was a wall model that had been played on and i scored it accordingly.

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have learned to read between the lines and to sort of mathematically average out all the reviews i find.

harmony central is a good place to find some funny stuff. but you can usually figure out who the mature people in the group are by their writing style. those people i generally lend a little more weight to than the next reviewer who writes like he/she is texting on a cellphone.

if i need info, the first place i hit is TB, the HC, then lots of googling.

i consider it an adventure. :)