1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gear sale gone bad, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by santucci218, Oct 9, 2010.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Dude comes over my house after reading a craigslist ad for a mesa cab. Says he is in a rush, so he cant bring his head or anything to try it. He shows up and I have my amp and guitar plugged into it and my guitar ready. I play it a little and he puts his ears to the speakers and listens. Decides he wants it after a few minutes of talking. Lowers me on the price i posted by 40 bucks, which I didnt want, but whatever. I help him load it in his truck because he is older. He proceeds to leave. Today, about 5 days later, he calls me and says the one speaker is bad and I will be buying a new speaker, or refunding him the money. "Correct me if im wrong, but you put your ear to each speaker before you bought it." He claims it wasn't sufficient volume to tell it was blown. A couple swear words on his end after I say he is being a pain in the Arse. Anyways, i sad I would call later, as Im at work.

I want to tell him to shove it when I call later. He had every opportunity to try it out longer, plus he did listen to the speakers himself and agreed to buy it. How do I know he didnt blow the speaker himself? What would you guys do?

2. It's not your problem anyway. Craigslist is an "at your own risk" thing anyway. He can't get the police involved because of it, and he can't spam your ads unless you post personal info. If you tell him to shove it and leave you alone, record it. That way, if he calls back, you've got a harassment charge all tied up with a bow waiting for him.

3. I would tell him tough **** literally

4. I would tell him it's his problem now. It sucks to have to be like that to another musician, but there are obviously no refunds or warranty on used gear you buy off some guy from Craigslist!

5. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    +1

As is. You gave him an opportunity to test it. If he wasn't thorough enough, his problemo.

6. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    If you know the speakers were fine, then I'd tell him sorry, no refunds. If you knew a speaker was iffy before you sold it...well you probably wouldn't have asked here.

7. agreed with others........CL has ALWAYS been "buyer beware" "at your own risk"
    you have no idea what damage the dude inflicted on your cab after he owned it.

If it gets heated, just be calm and say "it worked fine for me, sorry there's nothing I can do"

8. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    That's why I put "all sales are final" on my listing. Like you said the guy checked it out before he purchased.

9. If he dares come back to your house after making it clear it's a done deal= call 911

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you already gave him $40. tell him to use it!!!

11. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    He had his chance to check it out and decided he was in too big of a hurry... his problem. Assuming it actually wasn't blown in the first place (which I am doing), you owe him nothing. Besides, IME a blown speaker sounds terrible at any voulme level.

Personally, this is why I don't do deals at my house. Ever. Someone could probably find it easily enough from my cell number, but that's a different situation.

12. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    Craigslist is Cash and Carry. It's his cab now. Not your problem.

13. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    +1 to everything.

14. I agree with that. My answer would be, "Son, I saved you $40, use on your new speaker purchase. For another $40 I'll install it for you."

15. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    This is one reason I almost NEVER meet at my house to sell stuff on CL.

I nearly always "partially deliver" or meet somewhere easy/safe OR I go to their place (and bring appropriate protection).

You can (and should) tell him its buyer beware/as is/tested already/etc as posted above. But now he knows where you live, and who knows what kind of goofball he is. A busted car window is easy for someone with a loose screw and an axe to grind.

Anyway, too late for that. Everything else posted above seems spot on.

16. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    If he persists after you tell him tough toenails, tell him to file a police report. He has no case.

17. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Was speaker damage covered in the extended warranty that you offered with the sale?

18. You can just give him my phone number and I will straighten things out...

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    offer to buy the cab back for 100 less then what he paid since thats probably about what a speaker replacement will cost for the mesa speakers.

20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

No refund. Period, done deal, go on with life.