Gear Shopping in London, Rome, or Florence

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Duder, May 25, 2016.

1. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I posted this in miscellaneous and someone kindly pointed out that I'd reach a broader audience if I posted in basses or amps so I'll post in basses.

We're meeting up with my sister in London for a couple days before the group of us (7 adults and 2 toddlers :help:) head to Rome/Florence for a week. I really only have a day and a half in London, the same in Rome, and then a full week in Florence. This is my fourth time traveling to London and my second in Italy, but I never had a chance to check out any music stores. Are there any cool shops I should really check out in any of these cities for gear? If it makes a difference, we're staying in Thorpe county Surrey and Strada in Chianti. I'd love to see what the local shops have to offer :bassist:.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    If you are staying in Strada, I would check out various Strada shops - if you get my drift.

Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  3. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Are those like Erik Estrada shops? Seriously, though. That place has a grocery store, bank, and restaurant and not much else.

*yes, I know strada means street

4. MC1970

MC1970

Aug 25, 2011
    Roma - Italia
    Duder, I'm from Rome and I suggest you to visit Your Music shop in Via dei Quattro Venti; the Landlord Claudio is a bass player as well.
    It stocks lots of fine basses, amps and effects.
    You won't be disappointed

99Z3, The Rage and Duder like this.
  5. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks!

MC1970 likes this.
  6. In London, go to Denmark Street, Hank's has some really cool gear that we don't see in the states often. Be sure to go all the way upstairs. Also, I think Wunjo (also on Denmark St.) has a bass-specific shop, though they didn't have as much of the quirky stuff that I like when I was there in October.

SpanishDave and Duder like this.
  7. Cool, I just realized you can click your way into a couple of the Denmark St. shops and browse around on Google maps!

Joshua Pickenpaugh and Duder like this.
  8. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Awesome, thanks!

9. That place has more basses than my local GC

10. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    Markbass' head office is in Italy ....this is from their web page
    PARSEK SRL - Via Po, 52 66020 San Giovanni Teatino CHIETI ITALY .see if they have factory tours/factory outlet? I googled it, it is on the opposite coast from Rome .might be far away

Duder likes this.
  11. stradivarius151

stradivarius151

Jan 18, 2014
    Not quite London, and not entirely a bass shop, but Andertons in Guildford is near, by US standards at least. If you don't know of them, check out their YouTube channel.

maggsybass, SteveCS and Duder like this.
  12. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    200kms not too bad

13. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I might have to make a day trip :)

14. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!

15. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    duder........when you in Italy?.....from MB web site.."On Thursday, June 9 2016 Markbass top-artist Jeff Berlin will have a clinic-masterclass at Markbass factory in San Giovanni Teatino (CH), Italy."

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    twinjet and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  16. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London
    This place is great, been there a few times. Have a really nice selection of basses that you can play. I remember when the American Jag came out and I went there to try it. Shame I don't have that Jag. :(

Duder likes this.
  17. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    Your Music is maybe the biggest music shop in Roma.
    Near the Vatican there is Musicarte which used to store a lot of stuff too . Then if you go to eat "porchetta" in Ariccia :D you can try Musicanova in the near Genzano.

Bugeyed Earl and Duder like this.
  18. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Totally second a visit to Wunjo's Bass Cellar on Denmark Street - I have gotten the best prices there, I've bought I don't know how many basses from there over the years. Super cool guys too.

You must - MUST - also head down to Camden Town and pay a visit to Martin and co. at the Bass Gallery. This is where the real high end gearheads go, and it's absolutely vital that you go there. The best part is you can ditch your family kids whatever in Camden Town market which is fun and touristy and they won't miss you for a second, and then take the 5 minute walk down Royal College Street.

Bugeyed Earl and Duder like this.