1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gear Snob reviews the new Squier Jaguar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Sep 17, 2010.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    Just got my first chance to mess with this thing yesterday. For a select few of us, the new Squier stuff has become a well kept secret. Here's the skinny on Squier's new Cat...

Basic specs are the same as the rest of the classic / VM series; Agathis (pine) body, maple neck, rosewood board. This model sports pearloid block inlays and, true to form, detented tone knobs for each pickup for a vol/tone, vol/tone setup.

The pickups, although still branded as "Duncan Designed" are also different. The DD J-pickups found on the VM Jazz are Alnico and the P & J pickups on the Jaguar are Ceramic... and solo'ing the bridge you can hear the difference immediatly. This is an incredibley agressive sounding bass. I like having the incremental detents on the tone knob... its easy to remember settings on the fly. After some jazzy back-pickup fingerstyle burping, I lowered the action, cranked both pickups full up, dailed the tone back 2 clicks on the P pickup and BAM.... grimy fingerstyle city.... Iron Maiden and Testament style.

I'm really not a fan of the body style, but this is one agressive sounding bass... and even knowing they're fake, having big pealoid blocks under my left hand brings out the Geezer Butler in me.....

The thing that just knocks my socks of with these new Squiers... putting them next to a Mexican Fender.... the fretwork on the Squier is superior, the rosewood is of a tighter, more vibrant grain, the sanding seems more polished, the finish is as good or better, and overall fit and feel is better all around... for $250 less across the board.

I dunno if globalization is a good thing in the big scheme of things, but I sure like having a playable bass for $300!!

2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm not crazy about the body but I love a pearl blocked rosewood neck!

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I'd hit that.

4. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
  5. Me three. I think it is drop dead sexy.

6. I got to play a couple of these today and they had major neckdive, especially while sitting. Bass felt nice and sounded decent otherwise. The satin finish on the neck isn't something I'm a fan of, but that could be fixed.

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks for the review. Just one minor note, agathis isn't pine.

The detents in the tone pots are a great idea!

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I played one a couple day s ago and loved it - body style, tone knobs,everything. I didn't notice neck dive, and thought it was pretty light in general. $300 - hell yeah.

9. Probably depends on the particular bass. One of the ones I played was worse than the other. But yeah I agree, for $300, not a bad little bass.

10. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    The inlays appear to real, even if the material they're made out of isn't. Just to clarify. I know there was conern about whether they'd be real or painted on.

11. I would love the body to one, i cant play jazz necks, to skinny , not the biggest fan of blocks so the neck would have to go.

I would like to throw a maple B width P bass neck on with some hipshot ultralights to reduce neck dive. A few other tweaks like a threaded vintage style bridge , choice of strings etc.

12. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I love the way they look. I have absolutely no need for a new bass right now - but I want one of these anyway ...

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Tried one this week.It was right out of the box on GC floor 1st one they have had. Overall I agree with OP very aggressive pups that burp and growl.This bass would be a slappers dream. I suk at slapping and I had a good slap groove going and funky burp tones. I didn't get the dentent knob on the front thou,could'nt hear what it does. I fiddled with the knobs more than I played on it. Overall nice bass. I like the inlays and it was put together nice. The only thing i didn't like at all is its too light. It feels cheap cuz its so light.

14. How is 8lbs TOO light?

Mine is the lightest bass in my whole Fender/Squier menagerie and the only bass I have to doesn't have serious head dive too!

The body alone without amp hums and you can feel it in your bones when you play it that way. Terrific sustain and resonance too!

You can hear EVERY NOTE when you are unplugged! This body shape/size/weight just works great!

I don't see any reason to complain if it won't make you all stoop-shouldered and bent over after a few hours of gigging.

15. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    would it be possible to stick a geddy lee neck on one of these with little work required?

16. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    and if so, where can i get a geddy lee neck...

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    8lbs! If the one I played was 8lbs I will eat it more like 6 maybe 7. I have a old Squier bullet guitar that weighs more. This thing felt like it was made of Balsa wood...which I joked to my buddy. I have heavy basses like a 10lb P bass.This thing was a toothpick! I don't like light basses or one that light FWIW.

18. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    If anyone buys one of these and replaces the neck I WILL BUY THE OLD NECK CASH IMMEDIATELY.

19. There's more to it than less/more weight.

There's resonance - which the Jag has in spades. I swear it's almost as loud as my AEB unplugged - well, really CLOSE anyway!

My Jag hums like electricity running through it on all notes-all frets without an amp.

There's also tone. This tone monster feels like an active - instead of passive - bass.

I don't have another bass that does this as well or for as long on each note.

Amp'd it just holds - holds and sustains until I get tired of it - so maybe the weight isn't as big an issue as people may think/say.

If it sounds this good at the true (and I actually weighed it on a postal scale) as this one then maybe some reconsideration is called for.

It was 8lbs, 1oz.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If a bass doesn't float off on its own, it's not too light.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021