1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gear specific string question!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Neverender, May 31, 2012.

1. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Hoping to get a shove in the right direction as far as string recommendations go. Traditionally I have used DR Lo Riders, Hi Beams, and Sunbeams on my Spector ReBop 4, and have quite enjoyed them. I have had a Peavey custom shop Cirrus for about half a year, and last month I changed the strings for the first time since I got it (I don't know what the first strings were, got the bass second hand).

I chose to try out the new EB Cobalt strings, and I also chose to move up into a heavy gauge .110 etc. I also got the bass set up, but with both the gauge increase and change in string type the tension went WAAAAAAAY up (the set up was also a bit higher in action than I prefer but I went with it to try something new, not my thing).

My question is, I am looking for a heavy gauge 4 string set for a Peavey Cirrus, looking for good mid punch and knock but still have nice solid, fundamental bass. I also need a string that performs well at fairly low action. But most importantly, I play very fast music in my band, and play ability is HUGE. Right now on this 35 scale Peavey with the Cobalts it is like slapping my fingers on rocks, my Peavey went from the most playable bass I have felt to HARD TO MANAGE. I need some tension cause I play with fingers and can't have strings flopping everywhere while hammering 16th notes...

How do you think any of my old DR mainstays would sound and feel on my Peavey Cirrus given what I am looking for, or do you have any of your own suggestions?

Sorry for writing so long, I just wanted to be thorough, but I greatly appreciate any help! Thank you!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd stick with the DR's.

The higher tension of the Cobalts (they are already higher tension than DR, PLUS you've got the heaviest ones they make!) paired with the 35" scale of your Cirrus has to feel like playing electrical wires on your bass.

I'd give the LoRiders a shot first and see how those do. 45-105 or 45-100.

3. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply, will definitely look into the .105's, I really do enjoy DR's just dunno how they sound on a Peavey, but I bet amazing.

Yeah... the tension is insane, but on the plus side they've turned my fingers into cannons... they can't wait to be babied again ahaha

4. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Another quick question, to those who have fooled around a bunch with string gauges.

Going from .100's to .110's my tone bulked up a tune it felt, it seemed like I had much more drive and depth to the notes I played. If I drop down to .105's will that be a huge difference?

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I dont understand why you tried the heavy tension. Sounds like youd bvery much like the regular 105 gauge better. Imo no huge diff in sound between 105 and 110, just much better playing.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll pay anyone $50 if they can tell the difference between the same strings in different gauges on a recording ;) Now how it affects you as the player is a different story, and there's no way to tell. For me it would be a huge difference in feel, and as someone who hates thick strings, any reduction in diameter would be welcome.

But I'm really curious why you beefed up your strings if you didn't want them to be stiffer and more tense. That's the whole point of doing it.