Gear Stolen, insurance question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Jun 7, 2005.

1. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    OK, we moved our rehearsal to the singers new house last week. He's only been in the house since the first. Somebody "breaks" in, and steals two of my basses, my rack with my amp and preamp, and one of the singers DVD players. He never changed the locks, and since no windows were broken, we're assuming it was the old owner, who used his key. The question is, what should I do? The singer says he can't claim it on his insurance, or he'll be dropped, or his rates will be sky high because it's a two week old policy. He says I should try to claim it on my house insurance. It was a total of about $3000. Part of me says I'm partial to blame because I was too lazy to bring my own stuff home. Any insurance experts out there?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This one may be tough.

With no signs of forced entry, this may be treated as a "mysterious disappearance", which is usually (not always) excluded under homeowners. Also, if you make any money gigging with your gear, it's likely to be excluded or limited under homeowners as business property.
  3. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Go the "private-agreement" way. Go see this old owner/renter and kick the crap out of his ass until he discloses where's the gear. If he doesn't know anything, you haven't hitted him hard enough, go on punching him harder and harder until he speaks. Ears and fingers have these little bones, very susceptible to pain, that can make a man talk very loud.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    This one does seem sticky. Maybe talk to a lawyer? Keep an eye out around town for your gear, in case the guilty party tries to pawn it off quickly before anyone gets wise to him/her.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think stolen gear is usually reported on the gear-owner's insurance. I really don't know much about this stuff but I'd think that HIS homeowner's insurance probably does not cover other people's property. Who knows though, I'm just speculating.

brad cook
  6. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    The "private agreement" is being done, not that forcefully, but the singer is having that taken care of. What would it do to my home owners insurance if I claim it? It would be my first ever claim.
  7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Possibly cause the premium to go up, but if it's your first claim, shouldn't be too bad.

But, if you're going to file a claim, do be aware that a police report will be required....
  8. He's absolutely right; happened to a friend (and fellow bass player) of mine just before Christmas. His insurance company considered the equipment business property, even though he only plays a handful of small gigs a year, and they wouldn't pay.
  9. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    My insurance company just said the same thing. Although they said it's possible to convince them that I thought it was covered, and get something back. Adjuster is supposed to call me tomorrow

Several people are telling me that the singer should claim it on his insurance.I'm thinking It's my equipment, I should've had the stuff covered on it's own policy. They can't believe I'm not going after the singer.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I would file it on the insurance of the singer also. It's his house. If his rates go up, oh well. Yours would have too. Your insurance company has already basically said they will not cover you.

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    My wifes and agent, I'll ask her tonight. I know we have my stuff on some sort of clause in our homeowners because I do make money with it. I'll post tonight.