Gear suggestions for beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alacritan, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    I've played guitar for about two years now, and since I've started building instruments recently, I've become more interested in playing bass.

I'd like opinions on what are some really good solid well respected basses that I can take a look at for my design. Also, bass amp suggestions would be good too since I'll need to buy one. And why are fretless basses so popular?
  2. well there's first a few questions that you may want to answer for yourself. how much are you willing to spend? what kind of sound do you want from your bass? what kind of music are you going to be primarily using a bass for?

as far as solid, relatively-entry level basses go, i've always found that yamaha and ibanez make decent ones. but if you want super reliable, i'd say try to find an american-made standard bass, either jazz or precision depending on your preference. that may be a bit more pricey than an entry level ibanez or yamaha, however.

as far as amps go, i'd say start with a small combo, just because of price and convenience. once again, this depends on what sound you want and how much you're willing to spend. but i'd say go with an Ampeg B50R. they've got the cool retro look, great sound, a very respectable brand, and i've heard they're pretty powerful for 50 watts as well. i have the 100-watt version of that line, the B-100R, and i love it. i've only heard good things about the 50-watt one too.

i'm sure many other people will be able to provide much more detailed and better responses to your questions than mine, i was just trying to give some quick, easy answers.

as far as the fretless bass question goes, i never realized they were that popular. i mean some people play em, some people dont. it's not like being able to play a fretless bass is the benchmark of being a cool, talented, or respectable bass. however, fretless basses are really really fun...they have a totally different sound and can be a blast to play. i would never recommend a fretless as a person's first bass, but if you feel you're competent enough on guitar, than i guess go for it. hope i was of some help at least, and good luck making the switch.

3. Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    I'm looking for a bass in the 400-800 range for a Tool/Soundgarden type band. A really low, but tight sound is what I'm looking for. To follow guitar design, that would lead me to believe that I need a large scale to increase the tension, keeping the sound tight and the sustain high if I were to downtune it. Correct me if I'm wrong, and any suggestions would be helpful.
  4. well as far as amps, check out SWR stuff...i've always heard they're better for more rockin stuff. i dont play any hardcore stuff...a lot of indie-rock/experimental type stuff and a lot of jazz, which is why ampeg is perfect for me. but ampeg may be too warm of a sound for harder bands.

same with the fender suggestion. fender is great for jazz, not so much for hardcore. i think that's where more mid-range ibanez comes in...check those out, but i cant give any specifics, sorry. i dont know the ibanez line that well, just know the ones that i've heard have more of the harder, metallic sound.

5. Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    I'm looking at either a Schecter 004 or a Rickenbacker bass. I'm aiming for a Tool/Soundgarden type sound. Which do you think is better, and is there anything else I should consider?
  6. You should consider buying a bass based on what you think of it and not what other people think of it. Go and play some basses, and make you own choice.
  7. and using only one thread to ask a question is also something woth considering.
  8. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    how many times will you ask this question?

no offense, but could you PLEASE continue your search in only one topic? im sure two or three people here will be thankful......

my suggestion: ibanez btb, 5 string, the model is not really important cause they all are good
  9. Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    The nearest store is an hour drive away, and their selection sucks. I have to buy it online.
  10. Then dont go to the nearest store. Go to different store. Or just go to the nearest one, your first bss doesnt have to be great, you wont really know how to play it for a while anyway now will you?
  11. Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    But it certainly sucks to flush 500 down the toilet like I did on my first guitar and amp. It helps to have the advice of the more knowledgable to avoid any major pitfalls.
  12. going on someone elses opinion could result in a waste of $500 as well. I could reccomend a fender jazz, and I might like it, but you might think the neck is too thin (as many people do). I could suggest a Precision, but you might think the neck is too wide (as many people do). Understand? My opinion is just that, mine. You should go on yours, but you have to try them out first.
  13. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If you have to buy online make sure they have a return policy that gives you a few days to check it out. This eliminates a lot of ebay sellers. Daddy's Junky Music took back a bass I bought from them because I didn't like it, no questions asked because it was within their evaluation period.

I vote for the Rick just because it's classic.
  14. Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    Has anyone tried a Warmoth kit? I'd like to know about anyone's experience with Warmoth. Were there any problems, etc.
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

yes please stop starting up all these threads.. you have 5 now.. its not gonna help you out by starting all these threads...
  16. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    wow :eek: 23 threads in less than 24 hours :eek: :eek:
  17. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I never played a Shector (any model) but I love Rics so that is my vote. ALOT of people hate Rickenbackers though so take my opinion for what it is worth. Maybe try a used Ric....they hold their value pretty well so you won't be risking much that way.
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've built a few & never ran into any major problems.
  19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Yeah, they're great! I've heard you can get a really good Tool/Soundgarden-like sound out of them. :D

Most people around here find them to be pretty good, and last I heard Pacman was selling one for $800. Do a search.

Good luck :)
  20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Try doing a search. There is a lot of information to be found in the archives here.

I merged your remaining 3 threads. If you keep it clean, I will leave this one open. I am not going to warn you again, however, about the namecalling and swearing. It is against forum rules, and will not be tolerated. Do it again, and Paul will be notified and it will probably result in your getting banned from this site as well as HC.

And finally, go and play as many basses as you can. What sounds good to one person's ears might sound like crap to yours, or vice versa. Same goes with looks and feel.

One more thing--a lot of the people here that you are bitching at are guys that have been playing bass for many many years (Rickbass for one). My best advice to you is to grow up and listen to what these guys have to say. You might just learn something about the subjects that you are asking about.