Gear Testing Self-Bias

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexit, May 20, 2007.

1. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Anyone ever have this happen...you test a bass and dislike it, doesn't feel right or whatever.

Two weeks later, same exact bass, same setup, and you're in love.

I don't trust myself now...:help:

2. It all depends on what im looking to buy or GASing for at the time.

Believe it or not a while back I hated how the Fender American Deluxe Jazz sounded when I tested it, Went back and played it a couple weeks later, and loved it.

It depends on the amp too, the second time I was plugged into a Mesa Boogie, the first time I tried it I was plugged into a Fender Pro400.

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

NOPE, I've found myself trying the same bass over and over, and wanting to like it, but never having it set me on fire. Usually, this is a bass that is great looking, but I just can't bring myself to buy it, no matter how many times I try it, because it just doesn't speak to me as a player. :meh:

4. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Half of the bass' appeal to me lies on the playability of the bass, means that I refuse to play a bass not properly set up. I am not a snob, but I found out the hard way that any instrument not properly set up is disrespect to both the player as well as the instrument. The other half of the appeal lies on the sound. An amp/cabs setup just like the player would use would give an indication of the bass' performance. I always bring along couple of my basses to have a reference point. if the bass does not appeal to me there and then, there is no point in trying to like it another day

5. I've had the opposite happen to me. I've played a bass at a music store. I then waited a couple of weeks, then called, paid, and got them to ship it to me. Got it in and hated it. I just sold it on eBay last week.

6. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Nah, trust yourself. You question is why I will try something a few different times and a few different variations of the same model, before I buy.

I need to spend a little time, each time and on several occasions before I like to buy a model.....but then I am prone to buying something sight unseen too...so take it for what it is worth....

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Nope. If I hate it the first time I play it, I would never likely give it another chance.

I have been trying to force myself to like a Mike Dirnt MIM as I play a lot of Green Day live and the local music retailer has a used one on the wall for about $375USD. I just can't bring myself to like the boring sound or baseball bat like neck. Great deal, but why bother if I won't enjoy playing it?

8. I think I experience versions of this. But mostly I lay it to a bad hearing day. What I mean is I am just not making the the sound I am wanting to hear very well. Usually if I get into a rut like that (I've been around the same basses long enough to know it's not the instrument) I just switch what I'm doing entirely;- like changing to double bass. But I'm forever falling in and out of love with my different instruments. But there is nothing that I liked in the beginning that I am consistently disappointed with. Usually I like instruments better the better I know them.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've had the opposite experience. There was a bass I bought about a year ago that I loved the moment I bought it. The more I played it, the more I realized it wasn't "me". That's not to say it's not a great bass, but it took me a while to realize I can't properly express myself on this instrument. Sure, I can play all the notes, as other basses I love, but it just doesn't feel like "me".

10. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    i may be the only one who feels this way but to me the way a certain bass sounds is no where as important as how is feels and the build quality. The weight, the comfort of the neck in my hand, the action on the strings, access to control knobs.. and how sturdy it's put together and constructed. It's easy to change the way a bass sounds (changing pickups, nut, tone pots...etc) but a well built instrument that feels perfect (to you) is harder to find.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I used to hate how Explorers look. I now own a Tokai Explorer. I used to hate how hollow-bodies looked. I now own an Ibanez Artcore. I used to hate how Fender bodies looked in general. I now own an SX Jazz bass.

Feel and sound has never been a problem with me, actually. I can't really tell the difference in sound, or I'll adjust to how it sounds. Feel is another thing. If something doesn't feel good today, it won't tomorrow in my case.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 18, 2021