1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gear

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by CerealKiller, Mar 11, 2010.

1. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Just started playing with people for the first time, so really stoked. I was wondering what everyone does in regards to where they keep their gear.

We play in a storage unit that I do not have direct access to. As you know, hauling cabs around is a bit of a pain. I've been keeping the 210 at the storage facility, leaving the 115 at home, and hauling the head and bass back and forth.

Has anyone had any bad experiences leaving gear behind? I know I risk a low chance of theft (security camera right in front of the unit), but say the bill doesn't get paid or they want to be jerks about getting to my gear if things go bad.

2. Personally I feel really uncomfortable leaving my gear anywhere. Plus every time I do I end up needing it and have to drive way out of my way to get it. . . just not worth it to me, I'd rather haul it every time. ymmv

3. thatonedude02

thatonedude02

Jan 31, 2010
    Colorado
    Don't leave your gear anywhere:
    1. That you don't have direct access to. (Make them give you a key, or start hauling)
    2. That you can't access on short notice. (Someone needs a fill-in bassist, or something)
    3. Which may be detrimental to the condition of your gear. (The storage unit might be ok, but I personally don't trust storage units for anything electronic)
    4. With worse security than your personal residence. (The camera is nice, but all it will do is show you who took your gear, there is still the matter of finding that person who by that time may or may not still have your gear).

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I just leave my gear at the practice space. That's where my band meets, that's where we leave our gear set up.

If I'm playing somewhere where I cannot leave my gear, I either don't rehearse there, or I make sure there's a backline for me to use. Hauling gear and setting up just for rehearsals is a PITA.

The only gear I put away in the case and (sometimes) take home is my bass.

5. is it practical to pick up a big cheap 2x15 for the practice room....bigger/heavier means harder to steal and transport.....i have a pick up truck tool box out back that someone tried to steal.....i tossed in a couple of sandbags and locked it up....ain't nobody liftin' that

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Gear is relatively cheap (if you understand an audience really doesn't care)

Pick up multple setups (seriously).. have one sacrifical that you gig with.

Life is too short to carry around a $120 used amp.

Basses all come home (because they're quick and easy) cords, mikes etc are all disposable.

I have 2 that ALWAYS stay at venues.. they cost $80 and $120 respectively.. I've played them each at least 40 times.. I have one just for my practice space.. cost $50 .. used it at least 100 times.

Gear doesn't get beaten as much. Time is fininte in your lifetime..

My really nice or specific stuff all stays in a private warehouse.. not moved unless it has a specific need.

DI boxes again.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    +1

8. I don't start leaving stuff until I know them well enough to trust them. They show signs of shady behavior, it never gets left behind. Buy light stuff to practice with, neo speakers, lightweight heads.

I'm lucky that I have lots of old stuff I don't care about anymore, and old stuff is heavy. That gets left behind once I trust them. Not the good stuff.

Randy

9. mmjazzbass

mmjazzbass

Jan 24, 2010
    I don't bring my amp to practice.
    We rehearse in a small room in our drummer's basement, and our guitarists use pretty small amps and we have horn players who are unmiked in rehearsal, so there's no need to play loud. I just bring my bass and plug it into the drummer's PA, it works just fine for rehearsing.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You might want to check out: Micro-rigs of doom

Rigs known for their one trip,one arm load-in/outs.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020