Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gearheads....help me find an intake manifold.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike N, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    A friend is building a 71 Nova for IHRA/NHRA Stock eliminator.

We need a cast iron Quadrajet intake for his smallblock. Problem is, it needs to be a specific one, and I'm having trouble finding one. Casting number for this intake is 3973469. There's nothing ultra trick about this intake (in fact it's probably no different than any other cast iron smallblock intake), but class rules require this specific intake based on year and engine size.

If anyone has (or knows someone that has) one they'd like to part with (cheaper the better), shoot me a pm.

Thanks.

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
  3. Hey Mike,

I know it's just a little off season, but are there any swap meets in your location. Those are the best places to find that kind of stuff.

I would also try some bone yards, I know of one in my location that does the old stuff.

4. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Tim- Cool site, thanks for the link. I'll run it past him, but I'm not thinking he wants to spend $595 for an intake.

Chunk- Not much happening here in WNY during the winter. Couple of boneyards around, but most have phased anything older than 1985 or so out.

Doing most of my searching now by the web. I've got a Camaro site I hang out on that I hope someone there can help too.

Sad thing is when I moved a few years back I tossed a stack of cast iron small and big block intakes out. They had been collecting dust in the corner for many years (all were yanked in favor of an aluminum intake). I'm 99% sure I had what he needs, and I tossed it. They were basically nothing more than boat anchors to me, and since I don't run stock eliminator I didn't need them. Who knew?

5. Yhea, I know what you mean. It's seems to me, it was not that long ago you couldn't swing a dead cat with out hitting a 305, 350. Swapping the intake was popular upgrade.

Tell ya what, I'll keep an eye on this thread, if you don't get one I will ask around when I get back to work on Monday. I can only think of one tech that I work with that might have one. Besides the bone yard I am thinking of, we also have a placed called "Tom's Obsolete Chevy Parts" right in my neighborhood. I'm not sure what he does with engine parts but I could make a couple of calls for you. It's no big deal, It's what I do.

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I had one froma 350 Rocket, if I can find it and it fits, its yours.

Mike

7. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Chunk - I hear you. At one time I used to trip over 350's. I think I had somewhere between 10 and 12 of them in my garage. Now I'm down to two of them, and one is a friends that I'm doing the assembly on. The other is a virgin 1971 350 I plucked from an Impala. Too bad it's only a two barrel, or my intake search would be over.

I appreciate any checking you can do, as so far I'm batting .000 in my search.

Dr. Mike - I'm pretty sure a 350 rocket was an Oldsmobile engine. But, if you dig up the intake and the casting # is correct, let me know what you need for it.

Shipping is to Zip code 14622.

8. No Problemo.

Rocket is an Oldsmobile motor, the intakes are different.

9. Hey Mike, sorry to say I am striking out.

I have one more shot tomorrow. The tech I work with is more of a Ford guy apparently, but he told me he is good friends with an engine rebuilder and will ask him for me. I have one more guy, but it is a bit of a long shot.

These things are like hens teeth.

One ray of sunshine if you don't mind a drive in January.
    The Big E
    Auto parts swap 'n sell
    http://www.thebige.com/calendar/1770.html
    You're probably a bit to far west for this though. You still might want to check you local used car magazines for this kind of stuff. This one is a huge indoor event.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

10. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Chunk- I'm still batting .000

I'm off tomorrow and plan on scoping out a few boneyards south of me. Called one and they said they had a few older Novas and Impalas that still had engines in them.

I can't believe I'm having this much trouble finding a cast intake for a smallblock. I wonder if this particular one was a 'one year only' type of deal.

I'd like to see his copy of the NHRA rules for the class to see if they have an acceptable replacement, if we cant find the exact one for a 1971 Nova.

Thanks for the checking you're doing for me. I appreciate it.

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    How about someplace like Year One or Original Parts Group

12. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Buzz, I checked those places out but all I saw was universal replacement intakes, nothing with the specific casting # we need.

I've even scanned Ebay, and have yet to find one.

If all else fails, there's always the giant swap meet in Carlisle PA in springtime, and I'm sure we could find one there.

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I go to the one in E-town every year. Lemme' know next year and I'll keep my eye out for one. What's so unique about this one ?

14. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    It's just a plain jane cast iron intake for a 350 Chevy. Nothing special that I know of, must be a 1971 only thing.

I'm waiting for an e-mail back from an ebayer. He has an iron Chevy intake for sale that appears to be the right vintage, but I couldn't make out the casting # in his photos.

I'll let everyone know how I make out.

15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey Chunk, which local boneyard were you thinking of?

16. Bill's in Cumberland. C.F. - Cumberland line.

At one time he was known for having the older stuff. Back in the eighties I got some 66 Mustang parts from him. I think "Bill" in no longer part of Bill's and they pretty much scrap anything after a certain year.

Do you know someone else? There are a lot of salvage yards in RI and Mass. Most of them do current year models.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Man, you guys really need to learn to cheat.

Grind off existing casting numbers, create new ones with expoy and paint. It's pretty well undetectable after some sanding and a coat of paint. This is also a good way to make your own casting markings on various heads as well.

18. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Not my style, Tim.

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    is the manifold differentiable?

:bag:

(i know little of topology and far less about cars. :D )

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, there must be a lot of difference between our areas, the ones that play by the rules as they were originally intended end up taking home consi money every week.