1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gearheads: this is about one minute of perspective.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This dude is totally crushing it on what I think is a Squier Affinity. I am not gonna lie and say I am no longer into gear, but this young man is a reminder that skill is the key.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  2. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Absolutely, I totally agree that honing one's skills is a surefire way to sound better.

For example if someone has bad time, expensive gear isn't going to improve that, working on time will.

I've seen too many players with good gear sound terrible and too many players with basic gear sound awesome to believe that it's solely about gear.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    People are gonna chime in praising the greatness of Squier Affinities, and all they need are new tuners and pickups and electronics and necks and bodies. I think they’re great once they have new strings and a set up.

4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    You can write a poem with a Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum Line Classique Fountain Pen or a broken pencil. You'd hope the writing and spelling were correct, but the only thing that matters is the words.

I've been to bass get-togethers where comparison tests have been made between a dozen or so basses, amps and cabs. It makes you realise that the differences are so small they are irrelevant to everyone bar the player.

5. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Skill is of vastly greater importance than gear but gear is much easier to procure.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have agree that this young man is gifted and creative. Chops and knowledge are no guarantee of beautiful and creative bass lines. He had the vision to create a really beautiful arrangement for the bass line. His vision was the key, not his instrument.

7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I can get a bass that's twice as good for...maybe 4 times the money.

If I want to be twice as good, that's another decade of intensive practice. If I "pay" myself at minimum wage for all that time.....the new bass is far less expensive. But yeah, it won't make that much difference. The practice ultimately...will.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The funny thing is that, especially for young players, better gear may hard to procure. How a player responds to that situation will say a lot about who that player will become. Some people will do great things will very little while others will blame their tools. Between those two responses, we know who is more likely to have success.

9. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    What a great video! Regardless of the intent of this thread, that guy can play! :)

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes he can!

dkelley, lowdownthump and MonetBass like this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The bodies and necks of Squier affinities are machined with an accuracy that no 60's Fender can touch. CNC machining gives you not only precise, but also cheap wood parts - in terms of the cost to shape it.

Most of the hardware of a 60's Fender is also pretty much designed around cheapest cost. Leo was frugal - he never intended to blow away people with the world's best stuff, he was in it to make something good at minimal cost. 60 years later, with a lot of time and effort put into things (and using the same design), we can make something pretty much as good for even less money. Between the most expensive Custom Shop and an Affinity, there just ain't that much difference there. Yes, there is some, but not near enough to make up for a talent gap. Victor Wooten on an Affinity versus anyone here on whatever you want to bring (even Victor's bass) still ain't gonna be close.

12. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Great. Yet another video that makes me want to put down my basses and never play again... :)

Totally agree. I sound equally terrible on all basses regardless of quality or cost, so I basically don't really worry about how my basses affect my playing. I get basses that I both enjoy owning as well as playing.

If I were gigging my instrument choices might be slightly different, though probably I already own a gigging bass with my CLF L2000 fretted bass. If my ears weren't destroyed by the gigging days of the past, I might consider dragging the Tony Franklin or the Jaco to the gig too.

I went through my exotic-boutique phase briefly, back when I was playing 6 string as my main bass, where I was convinced I couldn't be heard unless it cost more than 5 grand, and so on. But the long and short of it is, I eventually discovered I sounded just as bad on the exotic bass as I did on the El Cheapo (at the time my trusty Rick 4001 and 4003s gigging basses, back in the days when you couldn't give Ricks away and everyone was trying to get rid of them).

So now I have just 3 basses more or less, I play each equally terrible just as before, but they all have character that makes me enjoy owning and playing them.

L

IMG_0442.jpeg

Root 5, Ghastly, dkelley and 3 others like this.
  13. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Sorry to drag drummers into it, but compare Elvin Jones' kit to Neal Peart's. Two true virtuosi, two markedly different toolboxes.

14. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Someone playing a great bass part on a budget instrument is way more impressive than someone who can barely play on a Sadowsky <<insert expensive instrument name here.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The issue is that kid who loves Rush might think Peart was great because of his enormous kit, the way a noob bassist might think a brand name bass or six strings is the key to greatness.

16. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    You can clearly see that this guy just loves to play music and probably just doesn´t care much about gear. To take this one step further i could imagine, that it doesn´t even need to be bassplaying as long as it´s music... That´s how it should be.

17. IMHO, getting gear is about finding one's own comfort in an instrument and in amplification that provides what the player wants. That may come in all shapes and sizes and price points. Tone, comfort and skill is not in any way related to how much money one spends or what a headstock says. Keep in mind that world famous recordings from years past that we still admire today were made on gear that might be considered junk by today's standards.

18. IMHO, getting gear is about finding one's own comfort in an instrument and in amplification that provides what the player wants. That may come in all shapes and sizes and price points. Tone, comfort and skill is not in any way related to how much money one spends or what a headstock says. Keep in mind that many world famous recordings from years past that we still admire today were made on gear that might be considered junk by today's standards.

Spectacular players on less expensive gear should cause inspiration, not intimidation.

NoiseNinja and Joedog like this.
  19. stingray78

stingray78 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2012
    I agree 100%, but now you combine skill and gear and this happens.

20. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    They were in many cases also made on gear that might be considered the ultimate holy grail by todays standards too ;)

Skill is absolutely #1. Time, tone, feel, all come from you. But good equipment can help bring that out, and in some cases inspire.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021