1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gearing up my Peavey Cirrus for jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by manutabora, Oct 3, 2009.

1. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Hey fellow dwellers of the Low End,
    It's been a couple of months since I got my US Peavey Cirrus. I got it because more and more I'm getting into the Gospel vibe and it seemed like the best way to get that modern Hi-Fi sound without breaking the bank :hyper: So far I love it and it has done everything I expected. BUT....
    I have to come back to reality and admit that I don't play in any gospel bands. I play a lot of jazz, and I would like to somehow change the sound of this bass to where it's a little more appropriate for the style. Right now it's too snappy. I know I'm not going to get a vintage sound out of this bass, that's not what I'm going for. The sound that I wish to obtain is more along the lines of the bass player for Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Still modern sounding, and very beefy, but without so much snap.
    I'm thinking a change of strings is in order. The director of the band suggested flatwounds... I don't know about that... For what it's worth, right now I'm using light gauge DR Sunbeams. Probably a thicker gauge would be better. Anyway, any help that you may offer will be greatly appreciated.

2. Cut the treb, boost some mids, crank the bass.

3. seracis

seracis

Sep 25, 2003
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 My highs are less than 25%, mids over 75%, lows maybe 50%. Then play with the mid sweep 'til I get the sound I want. Oh yeah, all bridge, no neck PU.

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Try some different nickel wound strings and choose your finger placement wisely.

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Aren't those DR's bright for the type of string they are? Lakland nickels are a little darker sounding.

6. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    As far as the EQ goes, I've messed with that before and it seems to me that what I need is a sound with an inherently different character, not just an EQ adjustment. That's why I was asking about different strings, but I'll try the EQ settings that you guys have suggested. I tried soloing the neck pickup as well and I didn't like that too much but again, I'll revisit that.