1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gears of War

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MySweetFracture, Nov 8, 2006.

1. WHos got it, and what are your first impressions? Im on the way to pick mine up right now.

2. 17 views and no response?
    I have an unrelated 360 question one of you might be able to answer for me.
    If ihave to create a new x-box live "gamer tag", what do i do about my non xbox live gamer tag/gamer score? Is it irrelevant at that point?

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm gonna be picking it up as soon as I can. Just got a HD telly in my room, and I'm blown away. I can't wait to see this game in action.

4. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Picking it up this weekend. I'll post a quickie review or something.

5. All i Can say is Wow. Three hours later it feels like I havent Blinked. The cover system/controls take a little getting used, but they are spot-on. The graphics are absolutley amazing, and the sound is INCREDIBLE. I havent tried it on MP yet, as i am awaiting my wireless router. I will post more about it when i am not at work.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have you no idea on how online forums work? :D

The 17 people who viewed it based on the title probably didn't even know you were talking about a video game ;)

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    My wife scored the Limited Edition for me yesterday. I spent about an hour playing the campaign and then switched over to the online multiplayer for a few rounds of slayer.

I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this title for over 8 months now, so I'm glad Emergence Day is upon us... Some observations:

1. The IGN review is quite good and tracks closely with my observations. That is, this game is more tactical than Halo and more arcade than Rainbow Six. It's a good blend, the characters are relatively slow moving at default settings, particularly in turning around--I'll have to check and see if I can adjust that. Probably can.

2. The graphics are stunning. The environments amazing. The rendering on the characters is really fun--the Gears characters look like battle-torn veterans all the way.

3. There are three learning curves--the cover system, finishing moves and the various weapons. Those are the three that I continue to fiddle with, anyway. The cover system is the core gameplay dynamic. Wander out into the open and start blasting away--even on easy setting--and you'll be dead fast.

4. The multiplayer could be more varied and diverse. This from someone who has played Halo 2 nearly every day since 9 November 2004. I think the sole game-type is slayer--for now. I would expect Epic will add downloadable content for new gametypes. But I would prefer to see greater diversity in the launch copy.

Overall, I think Gears is on track to live up to the hype--an almost impossible task. The story cinematics are amazing. I have the game running on a 42" widescreen LCD and it's kickin!

By the way, the gore factor in this game is unlike anything I've ever seen. The finishing moves, exploding heads, and above all--the chainsaw bayonet--are NOT for the faint of heart. The first few times I saw it, it got to me. BE SURE NOT/NOT TO ALLOW LITTLE KIDS TO WATCH OR PLAY GEARS OF WAR!!!

8. Excellent review :bassist: I would like to hear more about these finishing moves though, i didnt know there were any. Can you please elaborate?

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    There are two:

1. You can get up close to opponents with the chainsaw-bayonet-equipped assault rifle and press the blue button to execute a gore-splattering evisceration.

2. In multiplayer, if you are wounded (i.e. non-headshot) and laying there with your lifeblood spilling out, you tap a button to stay conscious. As time runs out, a teammate can run over and revive you. Or, if the other team finds you, they can hit the blue button to stomp your skull into a pulp.

Of the two, the later is especially gruesome.

10. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    i like the commercial.
    game sounds pretty gruesome

11. Gears of War has to be played in HD to be appreciated. I just picked up my copy today and it's everything the major publication reviewers are saying it is. This IS the reason to have an Xbox 360.

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    yeah, I would agree. there have been some nice enough looking versions of multi-platform releases to date...such as Burnout Revenge. But this is the first title I've seen that really feels like it's at home on the system. Load times are non-existent.

13. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    what's the plot?

14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Takes place over a period of consecutive hours on Earth where humanity is on its last legs against a subterrainean foe called the Locust Hoard.

The protagonist, Marcus, is freed from jail at the outset of the story and allowed to join a unit of soldiers fighting in the campaign. His story unfolds from there.

The overall plot is not overbearing, and the cinematics very artfully convey an intelligent story.

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've been curious as heck about this game, since I read about it before the Xbox 360 system launched.

Part of me is dying to get it, and hook it up to my 92" HD projection system.

OTOH, I pretty much used up all my credit with my wife buying a bass preamp last week. She says I need to wait until Christmas. :(
    It's only $60!

Maybe I can smuggle it in. "Just ignore all the hell-spawned battle noises downstairs, sweetie!" :D

16. You should! If she complains, have her sit down and play the co-op mode with you. It's the full single player campaign. It's too much fun.

17. My friend's brother got it, she says there is a camp of nerds in her house

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021