Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gecko 4 string! Why weren't we informed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Oh yeah, the CUP :meh: :D

Anyhow, check out "what's new" at warmoth.com. Kicking updated gecko body style!

Hey BWbass, howabout some non computer generated pics of a gecko 4-body!

2. Actually, at about the time I joined this web forum, there actually WAS a thread about this very subject...

... Made be think about doing a custom... I'm still thinking about a 4 string HH with dual three way swiches ash body flamed top with a hardrock maple/pau ferro neck... *drool*...

~Ryan

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I remember there were threads clamoring for a Gecko 4, but I don't recall a thread about the unveiled Gecko 4.

Oh yeah, let me...I wanna...

Valenti Gecko 4 (me no good with tools)
    Walnut body with an ill maple top (ebony pinstripe)
    Ebony FB over lam neck (small frets)
    Nordstrand DC pickups
    Black Hipshot Model B and ultralight tuners
    OBP3?

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, IIRC there was talk about this about a month or 2 ago when those showed up on the Warmoth web site, but I think it was burried in another thread about something somewhat related to Warmoth, not a thread about the new Gecko specifically. IMO the Gecko body looks kinda plain with the standard neck/pocket. I think a lot of the look of the Gecko came from the angle at the end of the neck pocket, and the squared off "Fender" pocket makes it look a lot more generic, Don't flame mem but when I look at all that comes to mind is some generic Ibanez.

Original Gecko (Medium 5 string)
    [​IMG]

Deluxe 5 Gecko:
    [​IMG]

To me they don't even look related.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I see your point...but I guess the real kind of bummer for me is a lack of 24 frets without ordering the extended fretboard. I just don't know how it would feel to play with the extension...seems a little funky.

W

6. They don't, which is pretty annoying considering I thought The Geckos were pretty nifty looking basses. The neck pocket area looks strange like that. Maybe a pic will show up of one with a neck on it.

No flaming coming from me, I think it looks rather generic also, but yet Ive seen that shape before somehwhere...

7. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    IMO from picturing it in my mind it won't make much of a difference, one of the visual "features" of the Gecko I think is that sloping angle between the upper and lower horn and how it is mirrored at the end of the neck pocket. The "Fender" pocket breaks both of those visual cues with the square end AND the curving of the cutouts upward on the neck.

If I get a few minutes later I can photosop something quick together.

And don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT trashing the look of the thing, If you like it GREAT. IMO it does look rather generic and like some of the low end Ibanez's (and other standard shapes, IBZ just comes to mind for me when I see it...) I just don't think it looks ANYTHING like a Gecko, so I question why they would even call it that. Of course I don't know what Warmoth considers the Gecko brand, so they might see some rationale behind it. For me it doesn't have what makes a Gecko a Gecko.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think if they moved the neck pocket into the body, it would look more like the standard Gecko? Excuce the bad photo edit:

Attached Files:

9. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    Nino,

I haven't seen any Gecko's done on your site.

Do you do these?

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    You must of taken a quick glance, then. LOL ;)

11. I'll have to agree with Nino on this one, if they moved the neck pocket back, it would look terriffic, and just like the "normal" 5 and 6 string geckos.

+1

~Ryan

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The only bad thing about my idea is that there will be no access to the 18th-21st frets

13. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well, I have to agree with you there, that looks fine IMO. I would have expected the squared inside end of the neck pocket would have stood out more in the design, but it doens't!!!

Good Work Nino!!!

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    They should have made it deep pocket and went the Sadowsky style 34" scale 24 fret neck. I guarantee they would sell the heck out of them.

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I agree they needed to have 24 accessible frets. Bummer. The laminated necks they're doing now look great too. Would have been beyond sweet with the Nordy dual coils.

16. I totally agree with you there. It looks kinda like one of those Cort basses with the neck pocket all messed up. With a neck pocket that allows more fret access and just plain better looks, Id be all over getting one to build or built. I agree it looks nothing like the Gecko 5s and 6s.

They need to make the 4 string neck pocket the same way as the 5 string and then offer a specific 4 string Gecko neck and not jsut use the regular necks that are meant to go on the Fender style bodies.