Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gecko 6-string pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andysvec, Mar 4, 2005.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I'm trying to trade my Zon 5er for a 6 string fretless, but have gotten only offers to buy.

So now I'm thinking if I do sell it to put together a gecko 6 string fretless myself. I built a warmoth fretless 4 about ten years ago, and did hundreds of gigs with it. I ended up trading it and wish I wouldn't have, it was a great sounding bass.

I'm just curious on seeing some gecko 6 pics that some of you may have built. (a total price of your parts would be nice too)

One question, what's the string spacing like on them? I really like my modulus narrow spacing...

So if you've built a gecko 6 please post a pic :D

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I can't comment on a Gecko 6 but I did just finish putting together a Gecko 5 lined fretless and absolutely love it. It cost approx. $1,050 to build. I would think a Gecko 6 could be put together for about the same. I'll attach a pic of it and also include a pic of the fretted Gecko 5 I put together last May.

3. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    beautiful basses! did you do the finish yourself?

4. I too am interested in whether you did the finishes yourself, and if so could you tell me how you did that natural one?

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Yes, I applied the finishes on both basses. I used polymerized tung oil. You apply it in a similar manner to normal tung oil but polymerized tung produces a more durable permanent finish. It really bought out the nice grains in the wood. You mentioned that you were concerned about the string spacing on the 6 string Gecko's. I know the Gecko 5 necks are available in 3 different widths so I suspect they offer 2 or three different neck widths for the 6 as well.
    I'd highly recommend that you use the Bart soap bar p/u's and Bart 3-band on the fretless. The mid control of that combination is excellent! Tremendous mwah! :)