Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gecko bass and pickup placement....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 17, 2005.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    This probably isn't nearly as complicated a question as I am about to make it sound, but...

body: 5 string gecko
    pickups: Nordstrand dual coil signature (x2)

If I do this, I want to use a coil splitter on each pickup (not a big deal). My goal is place the pickups where the coils (in single coil mode) will be as close as reasonably possible to the position of jazz coil pickups.

For example:

-if I use the inner coils of the dual coil pickups when coil tapped

-and (I am making these numbers up) jazz pickup placement is 28" and 31" from the nut (whatever the actual distances are)

-put the inner coils of the dual coil pickups at 28" and 31" from the nut (whatever the actual numbers are)

I realize most jazzes are 34" and the gecko is 35". Slight conversion would have to be done with the numbers, but nothing major.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    And your question would be... ?

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    is it possible to fit the pickups on the gecko body in that configuration. thought that was understood.... my fault

4. The Gecko has that asymetrical neck joint. it will end up pushing the neck pick up down a little bit. You have a little less then 6 inches of space from the bridge saddles to the end of the body (allowing some space for wood between the pickup and the neck joint.

When I did my gecko I wanted MM (bridge) J (neck)

After a couple discussions with their design team the came up with something that I love.

I think I spoke to Matt at customer service, and he got me in touch with one of the gecko designers.

5. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I just had a Gecko built 2 weeks ago with Seymour Duncan Passive Soapbars, only a volume knob. Sounds amazing, I love it. Just wanted to jump in and say that, sorry for hijacking! But call Warmoth, they will help you out. Bill spent over an hour on the phone with me and physically checked some things out during our conversation, like the weight of the bridge and the dimensions of the pickups. The whole bass fit right together, no issues at all. Hope yours turns out well!

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    My choice of bass may change now that they make 5 string block inlay necks

but thanks for the replies so far...

7. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Yes, the neck pickup on a Gecko is necessarily closer to the bridge than it would be on a Jazz because it has a 24 fret neck with an extended heel joint. The Deluxe 5 will have the positions you want though.