Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gecko Basses, Worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkize you, May 16, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I was just at the Warmoth Site and found that they had all the Gecko Six string parts I could ever need, I figured out that all of the parts that I wanted would total at about $1,800 so.. is it worth it? So if anyone has one, please tell me whats going on with them.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Without any disrespect intended, Do A Search. You'll find an identical thread from a few weeks ago, plus a whole lot more you will find very useful. Just search on "gecko."

:)

3. No.

4. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    $1800 ? NO!! I thought a maxed out gecko would be about $1200. :

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd double check your math unless you're adding on additional $$$$ for assembly.

This one cost me about $1100.00 & I'd say it was worth every penny.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    No offense to Nino-Brown, because I'm sure you love your axe, and you should. But I could easily think of over a dozen different basses I would drop $1100 on, and probably 2 or 3 dozen $1800 before building a 'kit' bass.

7. Meh, we kinda go through this argument pretty often around here. If you want the best bang for the buck bass or something that will retain most of it's value when selling it, but a used mass manufactured instrument. I've played quite a few basses, and for the 1200 I spent on my warmoth deluxe 5 (a five string jazz with dimarzio ultra jazzes, hipshot ultra-lites, etc.) I have a bass that rivals if not beats anything out there for 1200. Sure If I wanna sell it (unlikely considering I will always want at least one good five string jazz at some point in my bass playing, besides the emotional attachment) I'll lose a lot. Everything has it's downside.

The upside being that I got to watch my own bass go from packaged goods to a complete bass, including finishing it in nitrocellulose myself, learning about wiring and setup as I bonded with it. Stringing that bass up for the first time EVER and being the first ever to play on it was sweet for me as someone who was always into dissassembling his basses to see how they worked. I personally loved the experience and would recommend it to anyone who has any interest in setup, building, or any facet of bass besides just playing. In the end, warmoth basses are only as good as the people who put them together and only as valuable as the person making it perceives it to be.

Long story short- if you can find a production bass you prefer for that price or less and don't mind missing out on assembling your own bass, do that. If you want the experience or think it would be fun, it is, so do it and enjoy.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    None taken. I've compared this bass to a few basses in the $2000 range & my Gecko was on top every time, costing over $900 less.

Since we're on the subject of Warmoth basses, the only bass that rivals this bass is my Sadowsky Vintage 4. This one was alittle more, it cost me about $1400 :)

[​IMG]

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Its for the Six Stringer, with ALL the options, including paint, and Finishing...

10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I was looking at the Gecko 6 for a LONG time and came this -->| |<-- close to getting one. I honestly think they are one of the sexiest looking basses out there (except for the inlay, that is totally subjective. I love it, but maybe not on a bass...) and by the sound of it beats the hell out of a different mass produced bass for the same price. Well maybe. Just seems to be the general consensus. I think you should go for it if you really want it. All that said and done, I ended up getting a 1991 TRB6-P :D . Mmmm. So good. I shall post some pictures sometime.

By the way, some time down the track I am definitely getting a Gecko 6.