1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gecko: EMG or Jazz pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shlogo, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Shlogo

Shlogo

Dec 16, 2011
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've been contemplating a Warmoth Gecko 5 build...
    And another thread I started kind of finalized my decision, and now I really want one :D

So I'm going through all my options, and as this would be my first "custom" build I've been doing lots of research.
    Any way, this is my first real encounter with the question of pick up choice.
    This would be my second bass, and I got my first with the only $200 I had at the time (very low end Ibanez)

I have to say I have a slight bias toward EMG because I love Spectors and their sound.
    I've never really played too many Jazz style basses (pup wise); I've always migrated to soapbar style pups.
    But, I also have yet to hear a Jazz bass that I dislike sound wise.
    And I would like to expand my knowledge on pickups.

Other then size/looks what are some pros/cons, differences of each?

If any of this matters, I'm wanting my pickups to be passive and I'll get an on board pre (thinking Aguilar OBP3).
    It's going to be 5 string.

Thank fellow TBers for your wisdom!

2. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    I can tell you that EMG's will give an even Hi-Fi sound, BUT the only ones that do it are the Low-Impedance ones which require a battery for the P/Us and the EQ, so we can't consider those passive. Bartolinis are my choice for years BUT... it's better to know the acoustic qualities of the bass (or at least the materials if it's not yet built) and you can select which models would enhance or complement those qualities. I'v heard KILLER tones out of DiMarzios... both the single coils and the Humbucking S/C's. With J's you can get Hum cancelling P/Us where the coils are side-by-side rather than stacked, this gives you closer to a S/C sound but without hum. This info is only a starting point, but read some specs and think about what you want to hear.

3. Shlogo

Shlogo

Dec 16, 2011
    Chicago, Illinois
    Materials...Knew I was forgetting something that could help.

It's going to be alder with a walnut top. Ebony fingerboard and I'm thinking a wenge neck.

I tend like my sound a little scooped and I dig in a fair amount (but I wouldn't consider myself a heavy player).
    As far as effect go, I'm REALLY starting to like my clean sound with maybe a super small amount of dirt in the back. (though I do covers that require a decent amount of distortion/fuzz)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you go with EMG's, I wouldn't go passive, either. I'm using PJ's and their BQC preamp in two of my basses and it rocks hard. A good set of passive J's is also very cool, but it sounds like you're an EMG guy.