Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gecko Under Construction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, May 29, 2004.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well my Warmoth Gecko body and neck arrived the other day. The body is Walnut core w/Figured Walnut top and the neck is Wenge/bubinga w/Ebony fingerboard. Thus far I've applied 2 coats of polymerized tung oil sealer and 1 coat of polymerized tung oil low luster finish. Here's a picture of the bass w/o a finish and one with the sealer applied.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oohh.. Nice!

Are you going to put any controls on that? I don't see any routes for pots.

3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Quite gorgeous so far! :D

Love the woods used. Looks fantastic

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks!
    I'll drill the holes for the pots after I get through applying the finish on the body. I'm installing a Demeter pre and Bart soap bar pups.

5. Wow, Joe!

I was just loitering through the site and came across your thread! I LOVE that top! Wise choice, plus you have the background in repair and assembly -- so I'm sure you'll be pleased with what you end up with.

What made you decide on these electronics? How flexible was Warmoth?

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Very Nice, Joe...

I thought about going w/ a figured Walnut top. its so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

7. Joe,
    What are your thoughts on the lizard on your fretboard?! I am not a fan of that inlay in general, but I like it better on a darker fingerboard than maple.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Hi John,
    Good to hear from you! I'm going with the Demeter pre with Bart soap bar Pups. I installed the Demeter in my fretted Roscoe and initially loved it but after a few weeks began missing the more aggressive sound of the 3-band Bart. I figured installing the Demeter in a Gecko would provide a nice alternative to my Roscoes. My first instincts had me spec out a maple/purpleheart neck w/Ebony FB but after several delays at Warmoth (due to CNC complications) I changed the order to a Wenge/bubinga neck w/Ebony FB. I think it will greatly warm up the tone. Warmoth was good to work with. They are real careful not to advise you too much but do a good job of answering your questions. I'm sure that they don't want to recommend anything to you and in the end have you call them up unhappy with their recommendation. I'd do my homework prior to calling to place the order. The workmanship on the neck and body are excellent. The neck joint is one of the tightest that I've seen and the fret job is very good. I'll post a review when I complete the project.

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks!
    I went around a few times on the body woods. I originally spec'd out a Burl Maple top w/Black Korina core but changed it to a finished figured Koa w/Koa core. During all of the delays with the special neck the Figured Walnut was posted on the "Available Stock" and I couldn't resist it! The first Warmoth that I made had a solid Walnut body and I really liked the tond of the wood. It is a little heavy but I think it's worth a little discomfort. Plus I rarely have to play standing longer than 1 hour at a time.

John,
    I originally spec's out the neck without the Gecko logo. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't buy a Gecko with the inlay for over a year and only committed to order one when Warmoth agreed to delete the Gecko ($35.00 charge). I'm not sure what happened but somewhere along the way I fell in love with the little critter! Believe it or not everyone that has seen the bass loves the Gecko inlay! My wife and daughters who typically respond to my new basses with a "oh that's nice, can we start the movie?", went on and on about that Gecko!
    Bottom line, if you're married and your wife just ignores your new bass purchases, get a Gecko bass with the Gecko inlay! (unless of course you're trying to descretly slide a new bass into the fold!). If you're a single guy, and have trouble meeting girls, buy a Gecko bass with the Gecko inlay!:D

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    SWEET!

11. LOL :p Man, can I relate to that!! When I bring in a new bass, there's the charitable "WOW" from everyone then life moves on for them. When I gush to my wife about how I love a bass, I get the patronized "That's nice, dear. When are you going to mow the lawn?" But, I'm thankful for a wife who puts up with my strange fascination with bass guitars!!

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My wife thinks the gecko inlay is cute as well. Heck, I think it's cute. We have a pet lizard so I guess we're a little predisposed. :cool:

13. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Hey JOME77! You may or may not remember me but I posted a few weeks ago (or maybe even a few months ago, can't remember) about my indecision on a Gecko 6. I ended up getting a '91 TRB instead but man, I'm so jealous!!! I want a Gecko again! Damn you. Those are some extremely nice look pieces of wood.

14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia

Funny you should mention that... While I was in contact with warmoth I was ADVISED to go with a wenge neck. Even though it was my initial choice, I do find what you say odd. Oh well. Once again, that's is going to be a beautiful bass :D

15. nice, very nice. I always licked Gecko basses. too bad I know nothing about constructing basses myself :crying:

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Hey Phridg!
    How's the Yamaha working out? I suspect that we probably had different salesmen at Warmoth. I've delt with Warmoth many times in the past and although from time to time I have had a couple of sales guys make recommendations, as a whole they seem careful not to talk you out of something that you want. I don't have a problem with this at all. Putting combinations of woods together to make a bass is highly subjective. Bottom line, if you like it, that's all that matters! :D I do agree that the wenge neck is a good call though. I'm glad now that there were problems fabricating my maple/purpleheart neck.

17. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Damn bass is still in the mail. Grrrrrrr. But I do get a hardshell case, a classy ritter gig bag and it has Lane Poors in it!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA funny how things work out like that ain't it.

18. Wow, that's a looker!

19. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The Gecko is still soaking in coats of Polymerized tung oil but one problem has been solved! I posted a couple of times hoping to find someone who could help specify a soft case that the Gecko would fit in. I never got any replies so after the body and neck arrived I measured everything and started the search. I found a Gator GL Soft Case that based on the on-line specs should fit. Well it arrived today and it's a perfect (well almost) fit! Great made case too! Very similar to my Roscoe cases. It's not form fit but the bass fits fairly tight and snug in the case and the best part.........only cost $55.00 plus shipping! What a deal! Much more protection than a gig bag and less than 1/2 (maybe 1/4) the weight of a standard hard case.
    Now if I can just complete the finishing process of the Gecko! :hyper:

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well, 12 coats of polymerized tung oil later, it's finally finished! :hyper:
    The next tough decision was deciding on a control layout. I just thought that 5 pots looked to busy for my taste and finally determined that I prefered the layout of the controls that follow the radius of the bass body. The Demeter pre comes pre-wired w/5 pots so I consolidated the Treble and Mid controls to a single concentric pot and changed out the chrome DPDT on/on mid sw supplied with the Demeter with a black sw. Man, Warmoth has tight tolerances with their neck cut outs! No business card will fit anywhere around that joint! I was very pleased with the workmanship of the Warmoth neck and body. I don't believe that I'm even going to have to level the frets on this one! The action sets up at 3/64" (12th fret) without buzzing! The Demeter/Bart combination really sounds phat with the wenge neck and walnut body. So warm sounding! The neck is thicker and wider than my Roscoes but it still plays good. I played it last night at church and the tone through the Mesa was huge. Here a picture of the finished product. I think that I'm going to like it! :D