1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geckos anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MooseKnuckle, May 13, 2010.

1. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    Planning on doing a 5 or a 6 string Gecko, and was looking for inspiration/pics.:atoz: Tried searching, but not much luck. I thought maybe direct might lend some help. Thanks all.

2. Tubby.Twins has quite a few geckos. What is it you're looking for exactly? Exotic wood combos?

3. I went for the Black & Tan look.

Swamp ash body, maple/purpleheart 5-piece neck, ebony fretboard with a zebrawood gecko. With the EMG pickups, this bass has a TON of bite and snap. If I had it to do over again, I might pick some different woods though... my taste in tone has evolved to the warmer end of the spectrum. ;)

Interesting sidenote: I originally specified holes for 5 controls (EMG active preamp), but they messed up and only drilled 3. It worked out good... the look is cleaner with three stacked knobs (vol/vol/bass/mid/treb) than five (vol/blend/bass/mid/treb). Had to pick a slightly different preamp, but it worked out in the end. :)

5sg.

Gecko5.

4. P.S. Oh, and for inspiration, don't limit yourself to just looking at Geckos! Any bass you like will give you inspiration. I've lusted after the Ritter Roya Late Lounge look FOREVER. People around talkbass post stunning instruments all the time too (I've saved a ton to a folder on my computer at home), check out Carvin, go to custom builder sites (Chris Stambaugh, Cliff Bordwell come off the top of my head).

Going to your local music shop wouldn't be a bad idea either. And don't look at JUST basses... I hate to admit it, but even my local Guitar Centers have some cool looking electric guitars. Check out drums too... I've seen some pretty spectacular finishes on DW, Yamaha, Tama, Pearl...

If you really want to get crazy, you could get your bass painted at an auto body shop... Lexus has a super sexy dark red and pearl white or how about Mazda's electric orange or Mazdaspeed blue? There's gotta be some custom shop that could do something spectacular for you too. Pick a color they're already spraying on a car and it might not even be that expensive since they'll already have it loaded in their sprayers.

Just some ideas. :)

5sg.

5. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    Well, I'm not sure if what I'm looking for can be done, especially with certain designs. Generally, I'm looking for something that visualizes Carl Thompson-ish looks, with Warwick pounding tones. I recently saw a CT 5 No Nonsense(or something) for sale, and fell in love, but would wish for another pickup near the bridge. But OTOH, I love the bassy punch of the Warwick. Plus, I figure if I'm gonna go that route/amount of money, maybe I should just look into my own CT. Anyways, that's what I'm working with at the moment. Oh, and I know I want black hardware. This will be a long process for me, but I hope the waiting, and hours of research will pay off in the end. Hopefully.

6. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    The research and planning is probably the most fun part of building Gecko basses. I'm still refining my plans for Gecko basses that I'll probably never build. :)

I'll send you a PM with a bunch of pictures.

7. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I had a gecko for 4 years, played it on every gig and a lot of recordings. It sounded amazing. In the end, the 35" scale and the weight were a bit too much for me, but I really miss the sound. Mine was korina, with an ebony fretboard, seymour duncan passive soapbars, just a volume knob, hipshot ultralights, and the old gecko bridge. When I hear recordings of that bass I really miss it.

8. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Here is my Gecko 6.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

two piece swamp ash body, quilted maple/purpleheart neck, pao ferro fingerboard, SD Basslines active soapbar/2 band pre., kahler bridge, gotoh tuners.

This bass has a TON of bite and snap! :D

one more thing, the gecko inlay is made of a very nice piece of ebony (extra bite and snap!)

:bag:

9. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm not sure the inlay wood contributes towards the tone, but it certainly can't hurt to use Ebony!

Nice looking Gecko. Did you use the "neck" or "bridge" model of Basslines pickup for this position?

10. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    BG1.

My former. But there's another on the way.

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    :D

Thanks, that's the bridge split coil active version.

12. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I so want a Gecko but no lefties.:crying:

13. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    A'int that the truth!
    I've told them more than once that they need to offer the Geckos lefty. I bet they would sell a lot of them. I would order a couple of them in a heartbeat!
    I just can't understand their refusal to do so.
    Makes me sad.

14. Does each pickup have a switch for single/dual? Man you've got alot of switches and knobs and stuff.

15. Here's mine:

IMGP1867.

IMGP1876.

Mahogany body with Redwood top, "medium" birdseye maple neck with wenge fretboard and stainless frets. SD Bassline soapbars and Aguilar OBP-3 wired at 18 volts. That Kahler bridge is a bitch to intonate! That said, I haven't been able to experiment with different string sets/gauges to avoid having to re-intonate, and have been using Roto 66s since then. Control layout was patterned after the MTDs. Sorry couldn't find better pix (they were taken almost four years ago).

Interesting, I didn't know that.

16. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Series/single/parallel for each pickup and active/passive switch.
    Basic volume, blend, mid, stacked bass/treble.

17. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Jaco D - Have anymore pics of the modded cover? Thats an interesting idea to make battery changing easier. I never did understand why geckos didnt have a battry compartment (aside form the cleaner look).

18. Psychronic

Psychronic

May 16, 2010
    Has anyone tryed ordering from Warmoth? I'm thinking about it but I'd love to here suggestions first.
    What pickups do yall use?
    Will the geckos still have the dots on the side of the neck to know where you are when ordering from warmoth?
    What other sites can I order from that will be better?
    What music shops would have geckos in them?

19. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Warmoth has been really easy to deal with. Im in the process of ordering a custom gecko body and its been a breeze for the most part. If you order a neck you choose what features you want, including dots/inlays. As far as custom basses, you wont find a better place then warmoth imo. No music shops/sites would likely carry geckos or any other warmoth stuff unless they ordered stuff to resell for some reason.

20. Psychronic

Psychronic

May 16, 2010
    Well yeah I'm looking at the necks, all I can see in the inlay section is "gecko" so I don't really know if they would have the dots, I could always give em a call tomorrow.
    Thinking about getting my bud a nice 6 string gecko for christmas, but I know he's lost without the dots :eyebrow:
    Anyways hit me up with your suggestions on wood, for a nice warm sound.
    BTW- aren't normal sized cables usually 1/4" jacks? All i see is 1/2" 3/4" and 7/8". Then again I don't know if they're measuring how deep it goes or the tip of it.
    I don't really play bass but he's been whining about wanting a 6 string gecko for some time now.