geddly lee j-bass mods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tai, Jun 21, 2005.

1. tai

Feb 10, 2005
    hey guys, i just got a geddly lee sig. series by fender for my highschool graduation.

its had a few mods done to it and there are a few mods that i think i might want done...

the only things that have been changed are the pickguard(now a nice tortoise-shell res/orande color that really complements the bass) and the p/u's have been changed to "basslines" p/u's. i dont have a clue as to what kind of "basslines" they are, all i know is that they sound pretty nice. i also have raised the action nice and high where i like it and put a set of Rotosound flatwound strings on it. i think it sounds brilliant.

as the bass is now, i love it. but i have heard from a few people that there are a few other things that can be done to it. i have heard that i should chance the tuners(which i agree should go; they lose tune constantly) but i dont know what tuners i should put in their place. i want to use the same screw holes, so if anyone knows what are good alternative that have the same screw config. ill be much obliged if u would tell me.

im gonna have a real great luthier by the name of martin take a look at my bass and do a few minor adjustments(the neck is a little bowed and there are a few scratches, the bass had been used and it was the previous owner who did the mods. but i will make sure martin doesnt do any major alterations) while he is looking at it, im gonna see if he knows exactly what kind of "basslines" are in there and then ill let u guys know, and then ask u if u think i should upgrade them to something else or not.

also, do any of u know of any other mods i should try to make?

thanks much,