1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

geddy has to go?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blackmail man, May 12, 2006.

1. hey all, ive got myself in a spot of bother.

i bought a geddy lee fender 5 or 6 months ago, but am thinking now that it is the wrong bass for me.

the neck is sweet to play and it just looks plain cool, but the sound is too aggressive and twangy for what im doin.

could it be the neck that makes it sound like that?

coz i had a few rosewood board jazzes and none have sounded like this.

ive tried different pickups and strings, but nothin will get rid of that clangy sound.

im thinkin of maybe a p-bass next.
    any thoughts on the hiway1 or the mark hoppus bass?(random i know)

im after something funky and retro with a fat motown sound to fit with my soul/funk cover band.
    any help would be good, cheers

2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Does it get less twangy if you play the neck PU solo?
    Have you tried nickel plated strings?

3. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Flatwounds. That will get rid of your clangy sound and get you close to that Motown sound. However, if you really want to get as close to a true motown sound as you can, get a P and put flats on it with a sponge under the strings at the bridge. But first, i would try a set of flats. Keep both pickups going or solo the neck for a fatter sound and roll your tone only up about 3/4 of the way.

4. Yeah, I would say solo the neck pickup, use flatwounds, and you can even try a piece of foam near the bridge also.

That will definitely make it thud instead of growl.

5. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Flats are the way to go for what you want. LaBellas would be a good choice. Another great choice, if you are a finger player, would be LaBella black tapewounds. These will surprise you with the sound that you are looking for. They look great and last a long time. Oh ya, Fender makes tapewounds that are pretty good but I prefer the LaBellas.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

6. It is most likely the bridge pickup location......the GL Jazz is based on the 70's Jazz and it had the bridge pickup in a different location that really gave it more growl than the Jazz's before and after.

Stick with the neck pup and try some flats or tapes to avoid the growl.

7. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hybrid flat/round strings may be an option too. I use GHS pressure wounds which are kind of like half flat, half rounds. They feel much smoother that "regular" rounds and have less bite and twang, but more bite than flats.

They are hard to locate though - I get them on-line since I have never seen them in stores locally.

I actually used them on my Geddy for a while in addition to some other vintage jazz basses - I use them now on my Sadowsky.

8. thanks for the help guys

will give the flats a go, got some thomastik jazz flats that came off my fretless.

its not so much the sound is twangy all the time, only when i dig in.

im used to barky mids when i dig in, not clangy top.

i will keep experimenting.