1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Hybrid rocks the gig!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Apr 21, 2006.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that I'm having a more than pleasurable experience with my newest mutt of a bass (pics will come soon)

Not too long ago I modified a Geddy Lee bass by taking off the geddy neck (I know I know - blasphemy) and slapping on a 1/4 sawn all maple USA Custom P-bass width neck with a tad extra girth than stock. In addition I popped out the stock fender pickups and loaded it with a pair of Nordie NJ4s.

Mmmmmm - nothing says loving like single coils, a beefy neck, and alder body and 70s style pu placement.

I'm not too wild about the d'adarrio prosteels that I have on there - in fact i think the bass will be prefect for a set of TI powerbass - as I'm digging a more low middy tone anyway.

Being new to jazz completely - I was digging how much more cut I have than usual (although I definitely see a need to connect the pickups in series for "special" times)

The hardware is all hipshot too (no badass for me - a hipshot brass B-style provides similar mass with a much more user friendly and vintage looking design - hey if it's good enough for MTD- it's good enough for me. And Ultralites need no explanation)

I had the bass tuned up by my tech and now the action and play is superb. I've been playing a P-bass for so long that running through a whole gig with a jazz frightened me at first (especially since I anchor my thumb on that ever familiar spot on the P when ever I'm playing the e string) but neither intensity nor technique suffered.

What's great is I only have a few more "improvements" to make.

when I've made these changes then i'll give a review of the nordies for anyone looking to drop them in a geddy or any other 70s style jazz bass.

First replace the Cap with my fav - angela .047mf tin foil cap

Replace the jack with one that has a little bit more grab.

install a series parallel dpdt pot

and of course - that white pickguard needs to change into a black one. -KABOOM.

Other than that - I'm loving my mutt.

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This comment isn't meant to be critical, I'm just curious:
    Why did you decide to modify a GL bass instead of buying the components seperately? Sounds like you have changed just about everything on that GL except the body.

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    irony - I've dumped so much money into building and modifying that i'd probably have a sadowsky by now - and hindsight is always 20/20. However, I put the geddy neck on a the warmoth PJ body (the one that originally had the usacustom neck) If I were to buy the body separately it would cost me either 385 (warmoth) or 415 (usacustoms) or more ( I don't use all parts or MIM bodies anymore) I figured the MIJ body would be a safe way to go in terms of craftmanship (not a vendor that I'm used to (whoever makes the MIJ fender bodies) but it had all the holes in the right place and the CRUCIAL 70s jazz bridge pickup placement) the geddy only cost me $550 and I am selling (or at least trying to sell) the PJ with the geddy neck for nearly the same price - so the way I lookat it - even trade.

Trust me, I love building from parts - and I didn't look at the geddy as a bass - more like a scrapyard that had somethings I liked and some that I didn't - but like any fender it's a great mod platform.

now trying to build a 5 string to my own specs is much harder.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been looking at doing the same thing, Geddy with a P neck, only fretless. Great bodies, no routing under the pickguard so I can do the Jaco thing with a wider nut.

5. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas

6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    To me an instruments natural tone is all about the neck construction. and USAcustom guitars is - THE neck company in my opinion - for people that like to take super high quality parts and finish them off.

I finish the neck in satin nitro and I've sanded the neck (sanding formulas that go up to 2000 grit) once after one month and then again after 4 months- it really feel like a pool cue.

To me it's the only type of jazz i'd play as I'm not into the thinner styed jazz necks and the geddy neck was never my bag.

But as stated - the body is solid and well routed. the pots are good (CTS baby - not clarostat but hey no one's perfect)
    another really tight neck fit (not as tight as the original warmoth body though)