1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Jazz and your strings...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Aug 25, 2012.

1. For any Geddy Lee Jazz owners...do any of you use flats on your Geddy Jazz? If so what strings do you use and what's the sound like? Thanks.
    Right now I actually have some D'Addario tapes on mine. I use EB flats on my precision and 2 other jazz basses.

2. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I strung mine(stock electronics) with Chromes for Wednesday's practice and didn't care for them..the notes decayed too quickly and lacked the 'punch' I get with the same strings on my P bass..

For last night's gig,I strung it with Pressure Wounds and I'm undecided..They offer more resonance and articulation,but made a weird,slightly muted 'clicking' when fretting a note at stage volume..I tried unsuccessfully to dial the clicking out all night. I usually play roundwounds and utilize the percussive 'clacking' and harmonics you get from them when striking notes by tapping the strings on the 17-19th,but it just didn't sound right with the PW's..

Personally,I'm sticking with rounds on my Jazz's and flats for the P's and fretless'..

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I agree with the above post.

Rounds on my Geddy. ( DR Sunbeams)
    Flats on my P-Bass and fretless.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Never put flats on a Geddy bass ... that is just wrong.

5. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    I used Rotosound RS-77LD for quite a long period of time (1.5-2 years). They produced a nice, deep, hi-end bass sound. You can hear samples of their tone here: Deep Sense Creations. The Geddy is a 2007, all stock until recently (Hipshot HB2 Tuners, Fender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass Pickups), but every record you will hear is before any upgrade. ;)

Now she has DR Fat Beams MM-45. :D

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    If I had a GL Jazz Bass I'd put TI Jazz Flats on it. If I want Geddy's tone I play one of My Ricks. :D

7. steele42

steele42

Sep 11, 2012
    Brooklyn
    I use DR Sunbeams on mine, Ive found they are more consistent than Hi Beams