Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Jazz or Delux P Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, May 29, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I am about to order myself a bass. Atm I am without a bass at all so whichever I buy will have to be able to do everything.

I have only played bass for the last four years and all that time I was using a MIM jazz bass. I had initially thought to get a Delux P bass special as my bass heros all played P basses. P bass tone is cool but the neck is not.

Then I came across the Geddy Lee Jazz bass. It already has a bass ass bridge on it and upgraded pickups. Not to mention its MIJ unlike the P special which is MIM. The harmony central reviews for the Geddy are all good and some claim that it has more bottom than the stock MIM jazz bass that I am used to. Maybe this bass could get P like tones? The Geddy sounds like a better quality bass then the P special and only costs $100 more.

I'm torn now, I thought I had my mind totally made up. If I get the P special I already know I will have to change the pickups and will want a bad ass bridge for it wich will pump the price up over what the Geddy costs. $529 for the P. $629 for the Geddy.

I have tried the Delux P and found it to be "ok" which it why I would have to change pickups for sure. I don't have access to a Geddy to try out expect it would be just a much better version of my old MIM jazz.

Im running into an Ampeg B100R and using TI Flats. Which do you guys think will get the best tone for classic blues and R&B?

I'm going iNsAnE here.

2. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    both...
    but i think the geddy lee is a step better than the p-special.
    you'll have the time to buy yourself a p-bass...
    i think jazz basses are slightely more versatile even if the p-bass has that unmistakeble tone.

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Then neck on the Geddy plays like butter, it has great electronics - (try a series mod on it- wow :bassist: )
    Already has the BA bridge, and the binding on the neck is TOUGH. A sweet bass at its price point. My main bass for the past yr. has been a Geddy.

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    On the construction issue, I've heard that production for the Geddy Lee's have moved to Mexico as well. If that's the case, the quality differences will be minimal. Just depends on the tone you want. I don't personally care for that jazz bridge pickup sound, so I'd probably pick the P special.

5. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

Does the Geddy neck differ much from a normal J neck other than the binding? I'm going to have to go to the store again today and try the P special vs a normal J.

What I need to do is just win the lottery so I can have one of everything :rolleyes:

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't haeard that. Could be true, could be rumor.

All of the Geddy basses I've owned/seen have been Japanese made.

I've played a lot of the MIM P Bass DLX & I think they're great basses for the $$$. I've always wnated to buy one in Olympic white, maple fretboard but I know it won't get much play cause I'm a J man deep down.

I think the Geddy Lee bass is the best bass Fender makes, poeriod. I've onwed 3 & only sold them due to my compulsive nature to want something else. The one I currently own, I bought off of PMKelly & it's in a nice beat shape & I don't think I'll sell it. It has a great broken in feeling.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either. IMO, I don't think the BadAss bridge is all that, if you want a decent replacement replacement bridge for the P-DLX, a Gotoh 201 is nice & they're around $30 from Warmoth. Also, IMO, the newer MIM basses I've tried in Sam Ash & GC have been up to par with the MIJ basses I've seen.

The neck of the Geddy is shaved down to feel more like his Ric 4001. IMO, it's the best Jazz bass neck I've ever played on.