1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy jazz pickups question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 4stringSlaughtr, Oct 10, 2013.

1. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Feb 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Noticed that my Geddy jazz does not have quite the "bass" I need it seems to have good mids and highs , but that deep low end seems a bit lacking ...should I eq differently or just swap p ups, if a p up swap is needed any suggestions, I play in a cover band with 2 guitarists and a heavy handed drummer , volume isn't the issue I can be heard just fun, but I want a bit more gritty growl of a town a little more "ass" haha should I play more toward one p up than the other, turn one p up off when I'm playing ect ect thanks in advance

2. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    I suggest try eq-ing in more bass on your amp to begin with (if you haven't already)
    Otherwise, your money would be better spent on a decent d.i. pedal such as a used Sansamp bass driver etc.
    You'll get the extra bottom you're looking for plus some extra tonal options.

Imho ymmv et al.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1, the answer is at the other end of the cable, that's a kick-butt bass.

try playing the neck pickup by itself for laughs; yeah, it'll hum a little, but once the cymbals start crashing nobody will hear it.

4. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I have the Geddy Lee and it DOES lack bass. I have Symour Duncan Quarter Pounders one of my Jazz basses and that sucker can easily keep up with a heavey handed drummer with double kick drums and 2 guitarists with marshall stacks. :bassist:
    They were just what the Geddy Lee needed in my opinion.

5. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I dont own a geddy but never noticed the lack of bass playing one in stores. Still id start with your amp. Cut some highs and mids and bring up the bass.

6. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Also, check your pickups height. Could be they're too close to the strings. If so try lowering them a titch bit by bit, see if that sounds better to your ears.

7. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Feb 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Sweet thanks for the replies guys, I'll try all that stuff this weekend

8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You could drop in some customs made by Tom Brantley. He has rewound for Geddy in the past and can provide the same spec to you for $140 a pair last time I checked.

9. Lakland55

Lakland55 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I swapped my Geddy's pups with Bartolini's and they seem get a lot of compliments.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Flats, EQ.

There's nothing wrong with the pickups.

11. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Feb 26, 2012
    Michigan
    I've thought about a set of flats , is there a clear cut day and night difference for flats vs round wounds ? I've never had a set of flats before =X

12. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    The Geddy's use to come with the inexpensive ceramic magnet pups, I don't know if they still do. Look and see, of there is a bar magnet on the bottom of the pup then they're ceramics, same as any Squire etc. if so I'd recommend some Fender CS 60's or something vintage voiced.
    Bass Parts Resource has someFender Re-issue '75 pups, they have me interested me too.
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_pickupsfenderjazzusa.htm

13. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Playing towards the bridge will give more treble, mids, and "burp". Playing towards the neck will give you more bass. Useful for different song's sounds. No knob needed. This, plus eq (add some bass on your amp, but not TOO much), and pickup height adjustment ( http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/ ) might cure your ills.

14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My Geddy didnt lack lows, when I wanted them that is (i.e. play with the EQ and use the neck pup more). The problem I had with my Ged was that the output was on the low side. I ended up trading it towards my first Ric, but I eventually would like to get another and probably wouldnt swap the pups.

15. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    I thought the Geddy's came with Fender Original pups. The one I played in a shop once had bevelled pole pieces and killed my American Standard jazz for depth and growl.
    I a/b'd them next to each other at the time.

16. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think you're right. Someone may have swapped pickups in the GL bass mentioned above.

17. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I have been wondering if the Geddy Lee pups were changed
    in production. I hear so many different views from people who have owned them.

I own 7 Fender Jass basses and the GL has a very wimpy low end compared to all the rest by a lot. Output is fine. High end is killer also. I have raised and lowered the pups and nothing changes too much. It never gigs due to this and I have not had time for a pup change..yet.

I once bought a 2nd GL because I loved the feel so much and wanted the sunburst version. Wouldn't you know that sunburst Geddy sig had some thump to it. Blew my black Geddy away in the bottom department. Didn't feel as good so I kept the black GL and hope the pup change makes a difference.

I have heard many with my complaint and I really think it is due to Fender using different pups. That is where I would start.

18. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I can't comment on the MIM Geddy basses, but the "Vintage Original" pickups in the earlier Japanese model I had sound great. The same pickups came stock in the '62 reissue, the Marcus Miller and the Jaco basses. They sound like a vintage Jazz Bass. I really like those pickups.

19. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I had an alleged Marcus Miller bridge pickup which was wound with about 8kOhms of Formvar; hotter wind with different wire than the Geddy Lee/Originals I've seen.

20. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    If I recall correctly the Geddy bass originally came out at a budget price, around $600. At some point the price jumped quite a bit. I am thinking that the Geddy bass was upgraded when his prominence in the mainstream grew somewhere around 2001.