Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Hey is there any chance of fender releasing a fender geddy lee 5 string bass?? I love the sound of the geddy lee jazz bass, but I prefer 5 string basses.

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    dont think so, but you can always do a warmoth or buy a Sadowsky "Geddy Lee" bass :p

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive never seen geddy play a 5 string so i doubt it, im not a huge geddy fan though so maybe he has.

4. He actually played a double neck Ric in the earlier days on some songs......
    the thing was a hybrid 12 string guitar and 4 string bass.

No 5'ers though.....he's a purist.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, Fender saw fit to put out a Marcus Miller 5...

Of course, I'd love to see them do a Stu Hamm 5 and a Roscoe Beck 6... now that would be cool.

6. Amen - Roscoe had a custom 6-string made for him which I think is GORGEOUS, would love to get one of those.

7. Hmmm *cough*!!

8. Actually, Geddy used a 5 string Wal at some point in the 80s. I think he used it on one song only, that one being "Lock and Key". I doubt Fender would make a 5 string Geddy since he's known for his 4 string playing. It would be interesting if they did make one, with similar specs, in a 5 string version and give it a different name (or even get Geddy to suggest some ideas). The 4 model's been so popular, so it would definitely be a good idea if they can nail a 5 stringer.

9. I've nevr seen a picture anywhere of him playing one....hey, more power to him. I personally love my 5 string......and my Ged when I want a 4 banger.

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Would a 5 string Geddy Lee be the same? I don't think so, but that's just me. I haven't heard a good passive 5 string myself. If I pick up a Geddy (I want one bad) I want it to be a 4 string so I can growl like Geddy!

11. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    SteveC,
    Have you tried a Skyline JO5? I just got one and it's even growlier than the Geddy I owned for a short (but congruous) time.

I'd love to have a black one with a maple board and black blocks. I'd call it the Geddy V.

12. I've also heard great things about the JO5....one thing about the Geddy though is the neck. Super slim, a real blast to play.

13. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA

How can you not like geddy? He is practilly the god of his style, of course, if you have seen any of his movies or been to his concerts, he has a really, REALLY, weird style of playing, and he is probably the only one who plays like that.

14. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's a nice gesture, but the poster already knows what he wants. The question is getting it in a five.

IMO, your best bet is a Lakland Skyline JO 5 like oythers have mentioned and then put a five string Badass bridge on it if it's a must. The neck will have to be a compromise, though.

16. Yeah, his technique is a classic, "Don't do this" type of thing.....but man can he flat out play. Obviously my favorite bassist by a mile.....