1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee "action / pup height" question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cchorney, Oct 5, 2013.

1. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I've got a Fender "Geddy Lee" Jazz bass and I love it. I've got the action dialed in nice and low with no fret buzz. The only problem is my strings regularly hit the magnet poles that poke thru the bridge pup cover, causing a "pop" noise each time I do.

I've tried adjusting my playing style by pointing my elbow up instead of back, which put my fingers more perpendicular to the face of the bass, but that didn't help.

What I would do on any other bass now is lowed the pickup height, but these pups don't seem to be height adjustable.

Before I raise my string height at the bridge, is there anything else I could try?

Would replacing the pup covers with ones without holes be a better solution? I found this on the web to show what I am talking about: http://www.mojotone.com/ext/vintage...Neck-Pickup-Cover-Black-NO-HOLES#.UlAjf4ashcY

2. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    The pups heights on my Geddy are adjustable. Are you sure yours aren't?

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    The four screws holding onto the pup, those adjust the height, fint the tightest fitting screwdriver you can and press firmly into the screw heads when turning, the heads sometimes strip out rather easily. I've adjusted mine so that they clear when I'm playing my heaviest, the bass side of the bridge pup could go down a little more, but I nearly never play that hard down there, only when my thumb is planted on the neck pup.

Attached Files:

4. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Interesting, I checked and my the bridge pup (the one that's too high) will compress a little... but only the half under the D and G strings. The half under the E and A strings won't go in at all. Looks like I need to open it up and see why not.

Thanks for the replies - because the neck pup is already fully down and the part of the bridge pup I rest my thumb on doesn't budge, I assumes neither were adjustable at all. So you folks helped me learn something about my own bass!