1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee alternated picking technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Papersen, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Papersen

Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve been recently watching (briefly) Geddy`s interview on Googlevideo and saw that he uses his right hand pointer finger for alternate picking.

However, IIRC, in the "Rush in Rio" DVD he says he mainly uses his middle finger for that purpose. I`m slowly starting to practice that to see if I can achieve an interesting rhythm motion.

Can anybody clarify that ?

2. Naggon

Naggon

Nov 8, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Could you link me to the particular interview you mean? Personally, I use all three fingers for alternate picking (it's a cool little technique I came up with and I'm rather proud of it :p does anybody else do it?) But I'd be interested to see what Geddy does.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I actually started using my thumb like that. Seems more comfortable.

4. Doesn't Steve Baily (spelling?) use a 3finger-technique like that?

5. Papersen

Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
  6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    3 fingers work great-I think John Entwistle is usually credited with being the originator. Yes, Steve Bailey also uses this method.

7. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    I use it often when playing quickly. It gives a nice bright pick-tone on my Jazz.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021