1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Geddy Lee and ProSteels

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigDrew, Aug 10, 2016.

1. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    TB:

I have an MIA Geddy Lee that I love. I had the Rotosound Swing Bass 66's on there and I like them...didn't love them. The Geddy is pretty aggressive sounding, so I thought the D'addario ProSteels would really bring that aggression out.

I was wrong. They sound sort of muddy. They aren't bright and they aren't aggressive or "piano like". What am I missing?

I'm playing through a Rumble 500 combo. All EQ is flat. I may need a little less relief in the neck, but the strings are as low as possible. I just feel like I'm missing something here. Thanks for the help!!

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    IMO the ProSteels are lacking in mids. Those Rotos probably did that better.

I ran mine with Hi-Beams. I am unsure of what exactly to suggest on that bass (maybe since mine has been gone for about 2 years now).

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Are you going for a Geddy Lee sound or something different?

4. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Not necessarily. I was looking for a clear, aggressive tone. I put on some NYXLs and I like the tone. I might try hi-beams. Thanks.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  5. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Dean markley blue steels... Bright, consistent, and the tone lasts.

SteveHeissner likes this.
  6. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Odd, I've had the opposite effect from Pro-Steels but that was on a ric and a T40

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dunlop SuperBrights. So crisp and clear. Not extremely aggressive though.

8. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    My Geddy is currently strung with these and I love the sound I get.

101126000000000-00-500x500.jpg

jgroh and Mr. Wu like this.
  9. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Man...Hi Beams seem to be getting the love. Just so you guys know, I did notice some fret wear from the Rotosound Swing Bass 66's. I was surprised by that.

Thanks for all of the replies.

10. In my opinion, another Roto-like string would be the Marcus Miller Dunlop Super Brights.

11. Stainless Steel DR Lo Riders are the most aggressive sounding strings I've ever heard. They even growl on my solid body with it unamplified.

Tension may be similar to Rotos but they are much smoother on the frets.

kkaarrll and Overdrive777 like this.
  12. Hi there,
    It might be a combination of things going on. Every set of Pro Steels I have tried have been super-bright and quite balanced with lots of "ganK" for lack of a better term. (High mids?). They also maintain that brightness for a long time. It's possible that you have a dud set. But your amp, the Fender Rumble has more of a warmish or vintagey tone? I apologize if that's not the case! So you might be missing some of the twang and growl from lets say a Gallien Krueger setup? Just my opinion of course. I'm a huge fan of Geddy Lee and Rush. Geddy is my hero and I've used Rotosound strings since the late 80's. Hope this helps,
    Brent

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

There's plenty of excellent round steel sets out there. And the suggestions others have made in this thread are all good choices.

I just wanted to mention that if you're hooked on that piano-like and complex mids sound, I haven't found anything else that delivers that quite like the Rotos. They're similiar to Tomastik-Infelds in that regard. Not everbody's cuppa tea. But they definitely have their own signature sound and feel.

14. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah nother vote for Hi-Beams. I have rotos on my Ric right now but 99.9% of the time im running Hi-Beams. Smoother than rotosounds, last longer (IMO) and have a good growl

15. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy

+1000

Hi beams are weak in comparison. Lo riders steel growl and snark when they are abused.
    Another suggestion, try to tweak your amp. Amp set flat doesn't mean nothing about what you get from your speakers. Twist those damn knobs until you sound like hell, who cares where the controls are set

kkaarrll and Bass_Thumper like this.
  16. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I think you got a bad set of Pro Steels is what I think. Put a set of Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steels on them and call it a day. Depends on what slap tone you're after. I prefer the big bottom, and sizzly highs with regular mids that a great slap tone deserves. Too much Mids and you're in rock territory. Too much mids in a slap tone makes it a little honky sounding IMO. A crips, cold killer slap tone is a little wet, growlym hi tech but not sterile and not too compressed. DR Hi beams are nice too or even a brand new set of EB super slinky's. Notice I said brand new. After two gigs they will settle down into nice punchy strings a a nice finger style tone, but slap will be out. Still the slap tone from a Brand new set of EB super slinky's is legit. I however use the regular Dunlop Super Bright SS strings on all of my basses.

MSIMSBASS likes this.
  17. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I love Pro Steels and have them on my MIM and MIA Geddy Lees. Great tone, no problems.

MSIMSBASS likes this.
  18. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I am liking the NYXL as well for clear tone as I have one bass set aside as my "polite" bass. My main strings are Rotos for a more gnarly Geddy sound. Not a fan of the High Beams. To me they're a brighter but more crunchy sounding high as opposed to Rotos which are more grindy sounding. I know, totally useless and entirely subjective descriptions....

Maiden Bass likes this.
  19. Maybe try D'Addarrio light gauge chromes. Very comfortable on the fingers, won't tear up the fretboard and they are bright. You can get a good aggressive sound out of them, especially with a pick. ;):thumbsup:

20. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Im VERY surprised that you say the Pro Steels are muddy and not piano like!! I use them all the time and they are by far the most zingy, long lasting and aggressive string I've ever tired. And I've tried a lot of them.

Have you ever tried DR Low Riders or Lo-Beams?? Those strings are straight awesome and are both quite aggressive and bright.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021