Geddy Lee bass - bad news

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, Dec 14, 2003.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Last week I decided to add a new bass to the arsenal and was sadly disappointed with my purchase.
    I was in the mood to get a Jazz Bass and came across a G.LEE. model,I heard good things about it and decided to give a whirl.
    After playing the G.Lee I decided to barter w/ the salesman and see what i could get it for,so with that said I managed to get it for 520.00$ out the door.
    So after taking the neck off the bass about 10 times(the adjustment is not at the top near the h/stock but at the bottom of the neck)I could not get the neck properly set,so I took it to my Tech.
    After noodling around w/ it for a while he took me aside and told me why the neck would not set-up correctly,It had a bow at the top and a bow at the botom,and unless i wanted to invest some cash into having some professional work done to it I would never get it playing like it should.
    Yes I could of set it with high action and lived w/ it,BUT I did'nt buy a new bass to end up with a lemon(and I also got 2 more opinions from trusted members of my music circle),the problem is the fact that it has an alder neck with a maple cap,and its not the perfect combo for strength :mad:
    So after some debating with the salesman he agreed to take it back but it was'nt without a fight,it seems that if you do a set-up on your own and not through them,it voids the warrenty,but I did'nt give,up and convinced him to see it my way.
    MY POINT ? I Dont Know,I just wanted to warn others to look carefully before buying a bass with an unusual neck combo. :bawl:
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that you got a lemon, the neck on mine is solid as a rock.

Whoever told you that they have an alder neck doesn't know what they are talking about. The neck and fingerboard are both maple. Alder is not suitable for a neck. It is not hard enough.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Can't believe that doing your own set up would void the warranty. Why do they post suggestions for doing your own set ups on the Fender web page if doing so will void the warranty. I think I'd keep the bass and demand a new neck from Fender.
  4. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I checked the catalog,the Fender web-site and the brochure and they all confirm the alder neck w/ maple cap.
    I was stunned at first too,check for yourself its on the fender web-site,You can tell by looking at it,it does'nt look like any maple i've ever seen,and I own/owned 8 different fenders and never seen a neck like this one.
  5. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    They put it right back on the rack even after their tech confirmed the problematic neck,so now so poor shcmuck will come along and end up w/ a lame bass.
    The manager told me they would either get a new neck or send it back to Fender,I did'nt believe him when he said it,I figured they would at least put it out on a clearance nick & scratch sale for a lower price because of the damage.
    And anytime you take a neck of the bass for any reason it will void the warrenty from the store,YES even if its needed to adjust the neck,they say I should of brought it back in or a set-up from one of their guys,YEA RIGHT ! its either me or my tech,not some dude who dont give a crap about me or my bass.
  6. Checked the website, says 1 piece maple neck.
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    alder _body_, not alder neck . reading is fundamental. ;)
  8. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I am 100% sure the bass i got had an alder neck,it had very wide rings in the wood un-like maple which are closer together and is a darker wood.
    Reading is fundemental,but sarchasm is imbecillic,no need for pot shots,I know a tad about basses and the woods used in crafting them,
    and believe me I would make sure of a statement that I would post on this site because I know how quick some are to dis-prove and jump down others throats.
    The wood on my basses neck was almost white in color and maple is a bit darker,maybe this years stock was fitted with alder while last years were maple ? MAYBE ?
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Can you scan and post the brochure that says alder neck?
  10. Actually alder and maple's grain characteristics are very similar. Often times it's the way the wood is cut (plain sliced, quarter sawn, ect.) that determines how wide the rings are. Also, maple is usually a lighter wood in color than alder which has more of an orange/red hew to it.

What you described sounds more like a maple neck.
  11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Put an ad in your local music paper (if you've got one), letting potential schmucks know what they might be getting themselves into. It's your duty as a bassist!

"Attention area bassists: If you're thinking of buying a Geddy Lee Jazz bass from Schlitzy's Music Store, you may want to think again. I recently returned a Geddy Lee Jazz, because of a severely bent/bowed neck and watched in horror as the salesman put it back on the shelf for sale. It was a blue Geddy Lee Signature Jazz bass, serial #GL123456. You have been warned."

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
  13. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    If it was a blue Geddy Lee Sig, that would be the first problem since all Geddy's are black.

14. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I told a couple of people who were checking out the bass that it had neck problems(while the salesman was distracted).
    And the Fender site DOES in fact say one piece maple neck,BUT thats the same add from 1998.
    Its now 6 years later and it is possible that they changed the wood used,Fender has been known to use up old stock to get rid of it to make room for new products,I do not wish to split hais with anyone,I dont get enuff time on the computer to visit this site that I very much enjoy,I'm not here to argue,I know what i've read,Iknow what I bought,and I know what i held in my hands for 1 week before returning it,If you believe otherwise cool with me,But that neck is much thinner than a stock Jazz neck,Its modeled after not only his year bass but his dimensions and hardware as well which leads me to believe that an alternate wood was used for the thinner neck because Fender believed that alder is more sturdy when new that maple is,Anyone who knows that maple is a wood that ages great and becomes more sturdy with time but does'nt make a good neck when cut to thin.
    The G.Lee bass was a wonderful bass,and I am very dis-appointed to find out that it was F.U.B.A.R.,I wanted one for a long time and finally had the chance to get it,But I had to settle for the Mexican 60's RE-ISSUE bass which I am much happier with than I would have thought,I took off the p-gaurd and got me a Jaco bass(minus the lack of abuse).
    SO with that said I do not wish to split hairs,and if I said something you dont agree with then I'm sorry,BUT thats my story and I'm sticking to it ! HAPPY HOLIDAYS :bassist:
  15. yeah I agree with everybody, it is maple. Fender HAS done some stupid things, but I know they would never use alder for their necks.
  16. I've never heard of Fender using alder for a neck either.

But it's not outside the realm of possibility. In fact, being that this is a MIJ Fender, it's within the realm of possibility.

Alder is not as good as maple for a neck, but it's not entirely unsuitable. Carvin will use Alder for a neck. It's right there in their catalog.

I'm not saying alder is as stiff as maple, but it is lighter. It's a trade-off that perhaps a few are willing to make.

Whilst we are bickering about alder vs. maple, a larger issue has passed unnoticed: what's the deal with putting the truss rod opening at the bass of the neck, WITHOUT cutting a channel in the body to access it? You think taking the neck on and off is a good thing? It's like removing your engine to do an oil change. ***???
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sorry to hear you got a lemon. I've owned 2 of them & bith necks were perfect. I've also played about 10 or 15 others in stores & the necks looked good.

Since Geddy Lee's 72 Jazz bass has a maple neck, the re-issue has a maple neck. It might look like alder but it's maple.

The store is pretty lame for putting it back on the rack. :(

Taking off the neck shouldn't void the warranty since that is the only way to djust the bass & make it playable but I'm not 100% sure.
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's a re-issue of a 72 Jazz bass. That is the way they were made. But since it is a Geddy Lee ReIssue, it should have a route on the body since Geddy's does. I did it to the 2 that I owened.
  19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    But you got my point.
  20. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Ya gotta admire, albeit in a perverse way, any man who doesn't mind being wrong
    at the top of his voice. Almost as amusing as that Geezer 316 fella. ;)