Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

geddy lee bass for sale...is it for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Megallica, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Megallica

Megallica

Feb 23, 2006
    Hey everyone. I'm brand new here and have only played bass for about 9 months (played guitar for 7 years). I practice daily and have come along well. I play a crappy squire bass and would like to upgrade. I saw a geddy lee bass for sale used for $650. Is that a good deal? from what I have read on this forum they are great basses!

Devon

2. I haven't played one so I can't comment, however I've seen them online for 699.00 USD. Plus tax and shipping I'm sure, but 650.00 doesn't seem like a good enough deal for a used one.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Geddy Lee is a lovely bass, (and mine is the LOVLIEST OF THEM ALL!!), but I agree with bassguitar that the asking price is very close to what a new one lists for, and is actually a few bucks more than I got mine for... That being said, it is an incredible bass for the duckets I spent...

Instead of hating your bass, you may want to take your Squier in to a shop for a setup... Sometimes a little love can turn a 'crappy' bass into a very functional and delightful bass... I am currently working over the local middle school's Squier, and really, with fresh strings and a few tweaks it will be a player that I wouldn't hesitate to gig with... Even after 10 years of getting smacked around by 7th and 8th graders, it is still head and shoulders above what I started with!!

-robert

4. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Hi Devon,

Gee, you sound like myself. I played guitar for a few years as a kid, then I started playing bass last May. I bought my Geddy last October after starting with a Squire. I agree with the previous poster about the price. I paid 650 Canadian for my Geddy which was also used. That's about 550 USD. Not sure if I got a good deal or not, but they retail at my local store for 950 Canadian.

If you can find a Geddy for a good price, I would say go for it. I absolutely love mine! The neck, as was said in another thread, is either "love it or hate it" as it's pretty thin. I happen to be very comfortable with the neck. The sound is definitely growly with lots of mids to spare.

Lyle

5. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I agree...that's a high price for a used Geddy.

6. I completely recomend that you get a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. But not the one that you see for sale. That price is rediculous for a used one. I got mine for $600 brand new out the door with tax included at Guitar Center. I had to almost walk out the door to get that price, but they caved in and let me buy it for what I wanted to pay. Used one's usually go for the low $500's on e-bay, sometimes even high $400's. Good luck........it's a great bass, but don't get ripped off.

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea if u have $650 to spend, save up a few more bucks and buy a new one.

8. Megallica

Megallica

Feb 23, 2006
    Thanks guys, I found the add on another forum called "The Gear Page". Its basically like this place except for guitar geeks lol. If I can get a geddy lee for the same price new than I will! This one seems to be as good as new and has a hard shell case which I actually would rather have. But what you guys are saying is I might as well buy new and I probably will. Thanks for the heads up!

Devon

9. rsrd

rsrd

Jan 6, 2006
    Hey!!! That's my add. :bag: It's nice to know I'm selling it at such a large overhead.:p I bought the bass for $599 at guitar center (new) and I also got the case for $100. so that's $699 invested. The bass was used for 2 days in a studio and is as good as new. So I figured $650 was a good deal. Guess not........ I guess I'll have to revise the price.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=134064

10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Picked up a three month old Geddy in mint condition with Fender hardcase for 560.00 shipped off of Epray. Just wait and you should be able to score one for around the same or even less......

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I picked mine up from TBer Bikeplate for 575. If it's in perfect shape, 650 isn't a completely awful price, but still too high for used.

12. Megallica

Megallica

Feb 23, 2006

Hey RSRD, Email Sent on your bass.

Devon

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

He wants shipping, too. Which means there would be no savings to the buyer compared to new. Used instruments are like used cars; they depreciate immediately upon being sold the first time. This is especially true when being sold over the internet to a stranger, who will likely doubt the "only played twice" scenario.

The original poster should just go buy a new bass, or the seller should set a more realisitic price for a used bass.

14. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

i got my GL new for 550.