1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee Bass..how much??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by collicsws6z28, Jul 9, 2007.

1. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    After shopping around, considering many different basses, I think the Geddy is the one. I have found a used one in MINT condition for 550 shipped with a case. Should I hold off and wait for one around here or does that sound like a good deal?

Also any comments are a geddy are welcome

2. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    That is a great deal.

3. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    +1

4. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Get it. Get it now. Get the Geddy. I have four electric basses, one of which is custom made. The Geddy is what I reach for the most these days. It is, quite simply, one of the best basses that I have ever played. I payed $600 for mine, new.

:bassist:

5. Get it and start playing.

You probably won't get one too much cheaper.

Love mine! (wish it came in other colors though)

6. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    How does the Geddy compare to the 75 reissue?

Hey I met Geddy Lee once .. at House of Guitars in Rochester about 3 years ago. I guess he comes in quite a bit on his way to buy NY State wines to take back to Canada, along with some vintage guitars. They asked me to take some photos of he and the owners holding up some bass he just autographed. I got his autograph some place around here. If I can find it I'll post a pic. He is a real nice guy. Average person, like you or me. Nice to see that.

Anyways, what is so special about the Geddy that you say to buy it? I am thinking of picking up an Amer Deluxe Jazz or a 75 American vintage reissue ..... any comments on the 3 and how each stacks up? I am leaning towards the Am Dlx because it seems the most versitile.

Paul

7. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Well there's a bit of a price difference between a Geddy and a 75 RI, and I personally have found no quality difference.

8. I would jump all OVER that... they went up 100 on new ones because they were so popular. not sure your gonna beat that price....
    although I got mine for 450 with a case used at a GC about 4 years ago...heheheh

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

The Geddy, especially used, is a lot of bass for the money. And other than the Marcus Miller (Which I'm not a fan of myself, don't like the preamp and I'm a guy who loves active basses) and the USA 75 RI it is the only Fender with 70's spacing. Match that to the killer looks and the great bridge, neck, and overall construction... for <600 used it's hard to beat.

10. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    One more thing, I plan on changing the pickguard to a black one. Is it a big deal to switch them out. I have never done it before

11. Hell yeah, I just don't like the black blocks... I wish they came with a more Marcus Miller looking neck (and that sounds soooo weird...)

12. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I find the tone of the Geddy much more crisp and clear than most of the other Fenders. If I need a low, pillowy sound I can get it from the Geddy if I needed, though I would probably use my custom Rarebird. But the Geddy just plays SO easy and fast. The neck is very thin and you can just fly on it. For slap, well, I have yet to find a better slap bass.

When I went looking for a Fender 4 string I played several: MIM Jazz, MIA Jazz, Reissue P and J. Then I picked up the Geddy (without knowing that it was a Geddy) and was sold on the playability and sound. I looked at the tag and realized that it was MUCH cheaper than the others and was sold on the price. That's when I realized it was a Geddy; because it said so on the tag.

As for the looks, leave it as is and string it up with a set of Black Beauties. They sound great and look cool as all get out.

:bassist:

13. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I got one here recently in a trade. I wasn't intending to keep it, just try it out. But after playing it in church on a Sunday morning, it has immediately become my main bass for that venue. I'll be holding on to this bass!

14. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    GO FOR IT!!! $550 for a mint Geddy and a case is a good deal!! Mine's a little modded with a Pearl guard, Audere JZ3 pre, and DM Model J's.

It's the bass that stays on the longest out of the 3 or so that I drag out to the typical gig. :)

Randy

15. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    when people replace these pickguards, they can't just walk into gc and get one right? are they different than a reg. pg on a MIA or MIM? I plan to switch out the white one for a black one

16. Yep, the PG is different enough. there are a few online dealers that have one for a MIJ bass...

Link

17. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    That seems like a deal.
    I got mine for like $525 brand new about a year ago, and that was with no case.

18. mikopita

mikopita Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Florida
    I was actively searching and saving for a certain 5-string, but happened to find a used (but perfect) Geddy in a small shop in my downtown for $395 out the door last Friday. I got it just so I could turn it around and make a little $. Instead I've played two gigs with it since and will likely never let it go. I would easily spend $200 more for another if I had to (if they ever decide to introduce different colors... I'd be all over it).

It feels nice, sounds great and doesn't hurt the wallet. IMO this makes it a necessary part of my rig now.