Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Bass or vintage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MorganM, Sep 11, 2002.

1. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I have somewhat of a dilema in my mind.
    I want some sort of 70's looking Jazz bass for my next bass purchase. I'm mainly going for "my Geddy Bass".

I'm not sure if I should buy a Geddy model or find and old 70's Jazz bass, or for that fact buy and american '75 reissue w/black body and black inlays.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Geddy bass and the '75 reissue.

The reissue is almost double the price of the Geddy bass.

Than I would also like a vintage one.

Can anyone shed some light with their opinions of each option.

My current setup is an Ampeg B-5R and Ampeg SVT-610HLF.
    Thanks

2. I've never played a Geddy Lee JB, but I have played the MIJ 75 reissue. I'm guessing they are of very similar build quality and sound. I think they are much better sounding/playing (and looking) instruments than the current American Standard J's.

Yesterday at GC I got a chance to play the American 75 reissue... IT ROCKS!!!! Very nice sounding, better binding and inlay work, much nicer finish. Much better looking, a little better playing, and only slightly better sounding than the MIJ (imo).

With a vintage bass, you have to put up with 25 or 30 years worth of playing wear (not neccessarilly a bad thing). The high point is that a vintage bass won't lose resale value as quickly as the others, and may actually gain value depending on the market....

I hope some of that helps!