Geddy Lee bass Saddle Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Reason_D, May 17, 2005.

1. Reason_D

Mar 1, 2004
    Well.. I do my own set ups on my guitars and basses and generally do not have a problem but with my Geddy I seem to be having a problem intonating the G string.

To get the intonation right I have to move the saddle all the way up the bridge (towards the pick up) to get the string intonated properly. The problem is that the saddle is so far up the string slips out of the groove of the saddle when I do vibrato or bend the string because the angle is too flat and no tension is on the saddle to keep the string in the groove.

I use .45 to .105 string gauge. Is there any way to alter the setup to get the saddle further back towards the bridge and have it properly intonated? I have it intonated a little flat to keep the string in the saddle, as you can imagine it gets a little annoying when playing around the tenth fret and up... OUT OF TUNE!
    Sorry bout the length of the post, any help would be awsome!
  2. This is a peculiar problem, and I can certainly understand your frustration.
    Have you experimented with different brands of strings? I've found that different brands and gauges intonate differently on different basses. I would definately try this FIRST before attempting any mods to the bridge or saddles.

I understand that having the saddle closer to the bridge side gives the string a steeper angle over the saddle groove, which keeps it nice and tight in there. But I'm having a hard time understanding how bending strings on the neck could possibly make the string jump out of the saddle groove.
    This should NOT be happening, and I cannot remember ever having this happen on ANY bass.
    It's possible that the saddle groove could be filed deeper if it appears too shallow.
    Just some ideas.. sorry I can't offer anything more.

3. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

- This was my first thought. The string should come in contact with the saddle at about the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. This is not set in stone, but several bass techs that I've talked to recommends this for BA2 bridges.