1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee bass tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ritterbass, May 11, 2006.

1. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Hey I'm sure this issue has been talked about a million times on here and that I hope this is in the right forum but anyway, I have a geddy lee jazz bass and want to swap out the tuners for black ones and i just need to know which ones some people use or have put on their geddy lee jazz basses...I really just need to know from what companies(hipshot, schaller, allparts or warmoth) and what exact model numbers are these tuners. I want DIRECT black tuner replacements and do not want to drill new screw holes in the headstock...So I only want to know about direct replacements where the screw holes in the headstock and machine heads all line up. Anyways if ppl could help me out with that one that would be cool.:bassist:

2. I used Hipshots American Classics HBT-2 set, model # 21210B. (black)

Dropped them in directly, the day they arrived. Excellent service from Hipshot.

3. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Yeah i ordered a bass tremolo from hipshot as well once...I might go with them on this one...are they as good of quality as the schaller styled ones? less, more the same? Either way thank you for mentioning that one.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i put 9/16ths hipshots in they are a *little* too small, but at well over $100 I am not ready to buy the proper size yet. Seems to work fine to me.

5. I would say 'as good', and the higher gear ratio of the Hipshots (compared to the stock) enables a more precise tuning for me.

YMMV

6. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005

Yeah the functionality of the stock tuners just arent doing it for me at all. If the hipshot ones are as good of quality I may go for those. They look pretty good. I'm pretty much overhauling the entire thing at the momment. I think all black hardware would look better on an overall whole. The only original thing that will be stock when i'm done is the body, neck and knobs. Pretty much everything else has been or is going to be changed.

7. That was my approach, too...I even changed the knobs.

Some might say, "Why'd you buy a Geddy, then?"..Two reasons...I wanted a black Fender Jazz, and I love the neck profile.

IMO, the Geddy is a wonderful backbone for building a Jazz Bass that can kill.

8. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i too someday want to change parts on my geddy.

Im planning on getting a sunburst warmoth body and put a set of barts and a j-retro deluxe as well as a better set of tuners as well.

But right now i am going to worry about paying for the epifani amp that i just bought.

Good luck with the modding and please do post some pics whem you are done

Dave

9. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Yeah i might change the knobs in time...but for now i'm just going to see what i get with a black bad ass II bridge and the tuners...I'll probably opt to swaping out the pickguard for either a black one or white pearloid...And yeah in other cases I would agree with the statement of why buy the geddy then if it wasnt completely what you wanted? and usually I go for a bass that just has everything i want on it straight up...but in this case I dont mind swaping the stock stuff it's a good bang for your buck bass with great potential to be molded to how you like it.

10. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Yeah I did swap out the pick-ups on the geddy and just slapped some straight up duncan quarter pound J basslines in there. There is soooo much choice in J pick-ups so I just went with those ones, seeing how pleased I was with how a quarter pound P PUP gave my MIM p-bass a kick in the ass. Lots of stuff to buy for sure...I just finished buying an EBMM Sterling fretless as well, my third musicman bass so far...I need to post a good family photo of all of my stuff but I need to get a digital camera. Once i do i'll probably take some post mod geddy bass pics. But yeah that geddy lee for sure is a great stepping stone for building that business jazz for sure...I mean the neck alone is pretty damn impressive looking as well as playing.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm planning on doing something like this.

I want to buy a Geddy neck and put it on my '89 or so MIJ
    fretless jazz body, and then put the fretless neck on a different body. The white (currently fretless) bass will be gorgeous with a black BA II, black reverse tuners, a Geddy neck, and its current black pearl pickguard and EMG's.

The fretless neck will go on a sunburst body with no pickguard, a BA II, vintage-type reverse tuners, and a J-retro. I haven't made up my mind on the p'ups yet. Maybe Barts.

Bass bliss.

12. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Sounds like Fender would stand to lose ALOT of money if they started selling Geddy Lee necks seperatley by the looks of all the modified Geddy's out there.....

13. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Well at long last I have finally modded my geddy lee bass up the way i wanted it, and got some pics to show as well...

So the mods are as follows:
    -Black hipshot HB2 tunners in black
    -Black schaller Pins for the strap
    -Black All Parts String Retainer
    -White pearloid pickguard from chandler music...Direct geddy lee model replacement.
    -Black Bad ass II bridge
    -Seymore Duncan Quarter pound J-Pups
    -Black beauty DR Strings.

There we go with the pics well two of them anyway.

Attached Files:

14. Major Havoc

Major Havoc

Feb 15, 2005
    cant see the pics,server not found

15. Major Havoc

Major Havoc

Feb 15, 2005
    looks awsome,all you need is a black control plate and chrome knobs to offset the pickguard:D

16. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Yeah I was thinking about that as well...Do you know where I can get a replacement black control plate? and black or chrome dome top knobs?

17. Major Havoc

Major Havoc

Feb 15, 2005
    what did it cost you for the pg,also how do those duncans sound.

18. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Don't you mean they'd MAKE a lot of money?

19. I've got Schaller BMFL tuners on mine, look stock but far superior to the stock pieces. They do come in black. Great tuners - came stock on my Rickenbacker and I just loved how they felt.