Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee custom bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jun 3, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi People, Do you think i would be ever so slightly mad if i bought a Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass, and customized it? New pickups, J-retro active circuit, scratch place & new bridge (don't like the look of the badass). I really like the look of the bass with the block (painted on) inlays. Before you say "buy the neck & body from Warmoth", i live in the U.K., so i would pay as much to bring it over to this country.

Thanks

P.S. Any pics of the geddy lee bass would be nice

2. leave that thing alone!

3. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
  4. Yeah, the neck looks awesome. It would look great on a Marcus Miller signature bass! The black inlays on maple would look better than the MOP inlays, IMO.

5. Well, I've heard of folks adding a J-retro to the Geddy Lee model, anyway. From what I've seen, it's a fine instrument as-is, but there's no reason you shouldn't modify it to be a little closer to your taste if that's what you want--lots cheaper than trying to pick up a used 70's Jazz! I'd personally look at finding a used GL if I were going to do some serious alterations to it, but I have no idea what the availability is like in the UK.

Mike

6. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I have a geddy and I was talking about this in another forum when someone was thinking about buying a geddy.

The bass is good sounding on its own.

Would you really want to have to go through routing out a new hole in your brand new bass so you can put a preamp in it???

If you must I have a tech21 nyc bass compactor with two bands o' boost. And even though I'm stepping back from the compression the two bands of boost was really nice to have.

in other words
    GO OUT BOARD!!!

I thought it sounded really good.

7. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Rodan...

about that idea with going for an old 70's j bass and modifying it. I once saw on ebay a 71 j bass in black with the MOP!!! It was geddy's bass only with MOP's!!!!

Guys if you could find a 70' j bass with the body and neck in shape go for it but remember even though the wood is aged and a bit better on the 70' j bass you may be looking at paying double for that bass rather than the geddy

8. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, My local music shop is selling a 70's Jazz bass the exact one that Geddy Lee uses, but like all Jazz basses at that time, the thing could snap your spine with the sheer weight of it! (i'm a wimp) Condition is pretty poor. I think after hearing many positive things about the bass, i may just leave it as it is, and go for an outboard preamp.

See ya!

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the j-retro preamp doesn't require any routing on a jazz bass - it's a direct replacement for the metal control plate - everything fits inside.

10. Yeah, the pickusp (Fender CS 60's) are good and the bridge is good. The J-retro is about the only thing I'd do. There is a Geddy Lee jazz down at my local music store. It plays and sounds great, I just wish they made it in a 5 string.

-Chris

11. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    I say go for it! A tortoise shell pickguard will look great with a black finish. The Seymore Duncan quarter pounders are great pickups and the preamp is very good too. I would keep the Baddass, as ugly as it is, because it sounds really good. If not check out the Ken Smith and Hipshot bridges. If you remove the Baddass bridge you will see an outline in the finish (just something to think about). My FrankenJazz bass sounds better to me than my 73 Jazz bass.

Good Luck!

[​IMG]

12. I came <this> close to buying a GL Jazz bass, but I heard some horror stories about the neck being a bear to adjust and/or other neck problems. Thing was a sweetheart, though...

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think if you can, do it. What's wrone with making a great bass even greater? Nothing.

Good Luck.

14. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I think Embellisher has one Geddy Lee Jazz, maybe he could help......

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Geddy Lee is a great playing and sounding bass as it is. It should be ok to add a preamp, and new pickguard and pickups if that is what you want (but listen to the pickups first, they sound great), but why change a bridge that sounds great just because you don't like the looks of it? What if the new bridge doesn't sound as good? Do you think looks are more important than sound?

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it doesn't have enough strings. Great 4 string Jazz bass though.:)

Real(ly), BK;), the pickups on the bass are great single coils. Fender Custom shop 60's reissues. You can change the bridge if you like, but the Badass II is a good, solid bridge.

A J retro would be a killer upgrade to this bass. If I played it more, I would put one in mine.

Since nobody else posted a pic for you, I will post a low quality picture of mine.

[​IMG]

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love the geddy lee's. great slim fast neck. almost the perfect slappers delight. i like it more than the marcus. and yes, a j-retro would kill in one of them, especially with the Fender custom shop pu's. but i'd prolly swap 'em out for Dimarzio Ultra Jazz anywho.

18. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    whoa guys hold up!!!

The geddy doesn't have Custom shop pickups on it

it has the the original jazz pickups that are sported on the 62 reisssue.

!!click here!!

I yanked out my out board preamp last night and I'm putting it back on the front line again.
    Those pickups even though not CS 60's are verrry nice with the out board preamp!!!
    warmth and noisless features of my preamp plus the vintage rawness of the single coils.

19. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    If you are going to change the hardware on the bass I'd recommend this

gold screws and knobs on back hardware.

The leo quann is a very nice bridge. If you were to change the bridge I'd say get another leo quann in gold.

Tuners: a set o' black hipshots to match the inlays but remember gold screws.

If there was a way to take the pickguard off with out the nasty screws holes I think I'd do it but for now go for what ever you want. The pick guard in my books doesn't serve much of a purpose except for looks. just remember one of those nice pearloid pickguards costs $50. I'd put black screws on the pick guard which ever way you go.

try out the original jazz. with a preamp they can dial in some very groove inducing tones. What am I talking about without the preamp they dial in groove inducing tunes.

20. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi again, I'm going to Change the pickguard to a pearloid one, add a badass II bridge (In black) change the machinheads to Black, and at a later date MAYBE put in a J-retro unit. I think when i'm done this bass will look even better! Similar in look to Jason Newsteads Sadowsky vintage 4 in black.

I hate that question "Are looks more important than the sound" i think looks are equal. Put it this way if a BC Rich warlock bass was the best sounding bass on the planet (Is it?, hehe) i still wouldn't play the damm thing. If your an ugly beggar like me, then an attractive bass can become the centre of attention when playing a gig, and hopefully get you a fine lady at the end of the night, hehe. Praise the pretty bass!!

Someone did say removing the Badass bridge would leave an outline mark, that is why i have to stick to the Badass. I was going to go for a different bridge (something a bit smaller) but i don't really want an outline mark showing.

Do you know of that band "Alkaline trio"? in that "Stupid Kid" video, I'm pretty sure that is a Geddy lee Sig bass he is using (i noticed the badass bridge