Geddy Lee Fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rsrd, Jan 6, 2006.

1. rsrd

Jan 6, 2006
    whose got em, whose had em and what do you think about them. I am on the verge of buying....

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    They're not a stickers.
  3. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I have one and really like it. Great playability and sound.
    Enough said......
  4. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I have one and love it!! Its the best jazz Ive owned. I liked it over my 75 and my FSR 75 reissue. Some people say its not as good as an american, but IMHO its every bit as good.
  5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've had mine for a while it.
  6. One of my students had one (and I love to play their gear, lol) and I liked it overall BUT the E string was a bit dead sounding compared to the rest of the bass. Not sure if it was a bad neck or something with the pickups, but he sent it back. I'm not saying that non-US Fenders are all like this, but I truly doubt Fender would ship out a US with a dead string. I was hoping he'd get a different GL Jazz but he was pissed and he got a Lakland instead (which was nice).
  7. momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have had one since they first came out. I ordered mine at the NAMM show in '98 where it debuted. Mine has served me non stop for years, both on the road and in studio. I still have the stock PU's in it. I'm sure they could be better, but the sound is so good, I never bothered.

I just opened up the electronics and was plesantly suprised. All of the pots are high quality, and the jack is a switchcraft. ALso, there are copper grounding plates in the pickup and control cavity. Nice touch.

Finally, the neck pocket is tighter than anything I have ever seen.

I recently A/B's with a new MIA jazz. Both were nice, and I must say that the tuners on the MIA blow it out of the water, but the rest of the construction was about even. The sound between the two, however, is huge. The MIA has a clear and bright sound, with almost a scooped midrange, while the GL has more or a deep growling midrange tone. I prefer the GL, as it always seems to mix perfectly in band settings, but make sure it works for you.
  8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'd dare to say that the Geddy Lee is the most popular Fender model.
  9. My son had one and I used to borrow it frequently for rehearsals and gigs. Very nice construction, good sound. The neck is much slimmer than a regular Jazz neck. It was a little too thin for my taste but I did get used to it after a while.

Rick B.
  10. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    An employee at the nearby music store (in Kenosha WI) told me recently that the GL was their best selling bass, period.
    I had one from around 1999-2002, and it was a fantastic bass. I sold it and deeply regret it now, and am planning to get another.
  11. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I have one and love it to death. Buy it, because it will rock your face.
  12. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I've had mine for about a month now. I'm really happy with it. It has been hard to put it down.
  13. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I loved what i tried of the GL, hope to own one soon!
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm saving slowly for one.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love mine! If it had 5 strings, my other basses would rarely get touched.

16. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003

Nice action shot. What kind of bass is that on the stand??
    Looks expensive!!
  17. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

I avoided Fender products like the plague for decades, but a GL Jazz convinced me to take it home.

Attached Files:

• GLJ2.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
  18. i almost bought one a couple of years ago. it came down to a choice between the Getty, and the Highway 1. i played them both, side by side, for almost 3 hours at the music store.
    (Murphy's Music)<for Embellisher, lol. i ran them through an Ampeg SVT amp, and a 4x10 cab, simular to mine. the Getty played very nice, as did the Hwy 1. the store was matching prices with the Muscians Friend catalog, i brought with me.
    i chose the Hwy 1. the two deciding factors were, the Hwy 1
    is made in usa, and i didn't like the fret markers on the Getty,
    they looked painted on, instead of inlayed. having said that.
    i have never heard a bad report on the Getty. everybody that owns them, love them. good luck! :cool:

Edit: that was 3 yrs ago in febuary, and my way, is still the Hwy, 1. lol
  19. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I had a highway one jazz and everyday I kick myself at least once for selling it...... Very underrated bass imho.
  20. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I buddy of mine who goes through a lot of gear really likes his. He found that once he put on a heavier gauge set of strings, it sounds really good in just about every situation.