1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by primemover, Dec 23, 2006.

1. primemover

primemover

Oct 16, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    I just bought one last week. It's nice! One thing though is I've had to adjust the truss rod because it was not set up right from the factory. The strings would rattle around the first five frets. Does anyone here have that bass and if so has it been good to you or what?

2. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

I'm happy with mine. I like it because it is different from my other basses, I have 5 string warwicks, so it is nice to pick up a 4 string jazz every once in a while. I recommend putting Bassline pU's in it. It makes a very good difference:bassist:

3. primemover

primemover

Oct 16, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    Hum..are they as bouncy as the original strings because I think it slaps nice and effortless with them. On my Dean Edge I put some DR low ridders on and they are a bitch to slap.

4. primemover

primemover

Oct 16, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    Oh also I get a lot of buzzing when its pluged in and not holding the strings. Can I solve this or is it just the nature of the pick ups and the set up?

5. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

I have DR's on mine and that buzzing is because the bass uses your body to ground itself. The Basslines are Pickup's made by Seymour duncan, the just swap with the original pick up. They sound great!

6. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Keep going on how to stop buzzing because i have the same problem and it is actually starting to make me consider trading it, which i really do no want to do, because i love how i can play it all day without hand pain.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you soloing one pickup or are they both wide open?

It's the nature of the beast being single coil pickups.

8. Elionjamz

Elionjamz Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    You should take that bass to a pro, man. Tell a pro set-up guy where the buzzing is, and they should be able to take care of it for you for no more than 50 bucks. No need to trade off a bass that you really like. Basslines pickups will also make big difference in tone.

9. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Some of both, it changes every time i pick it up, depends on my mood.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unless both are at the same level, you will get single coil hum unless you're in a room that's built so perfectly that there is no sort of EMI.

11. primemover

primemover

Oct 16, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    I notice that when I touch the metal part of my pick up cord going into my bass that the noise goes away. what if i make me a grounding chord with an alligator clip on both ends and ground it out to something to replicate me touching it and grounding through me? Just brain storming.

12. It should go away when you touch your strings, you shouldn't need to touch the control plate. If it doesn't go away when you touch the strings then you have a bad contact somewhere, I would take it to a shop to have it looked at.

You shouldn't need to use an alligator clip to stop the noise unless you have prosthetic rubber fingertips or something.

I have a Geddy Lee jazz myself (I'm on #2 actually) and although the vintage style copper plates under the pickups and control cavity aren't the most effective shielding, the bass is much quieter than most off the shelf fenders that have no shielding.

13. Ok, to elaborate on whats been said so far:

Single coil pickups, like those found in Fender Jazz Basses, Hum. It deals with how the pickups are wound. But it was descovered way eairly on in pickup making, that if you reverse the coils in widing them, that by turning both on at the same time, they will basically form one double wound 'humbucking' pickup. So when your two single coils are on at the same time, and at the same level, you wont get that annoying hum.

Shielding/Grounding are ways that help us quiet some of the hum. Your Geddy, like most Fenders, probably came pre-grounded. If your curious, just unscrew the control plate under the knobs (you can leave all the pots, etc, attatched) and take a peak inside. If you see a hole on the left side, with a wire that appears to be running to the bridge, its grounded. Sheilding, however, probably wasn't done for you. Sheilding is a process where you place magnetic foil, or magentic paint into all the cavities in the body (control route, pickup routes). It will help to quite the hum. An explination and tutorial for that process can be found here.

Onto the bass itself. I love the Geddy Lee model. It may be my next bass, as a matter of fact. I like the bright, grinding tone it gets, I love the look, and the neck is to die for. I lust dropped a load of cash on a new rig, but once cash gets back up, I'm seriously considering a good look at the Geddy.