Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, May 2, 2003.

1. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    I just a new Geddy Lee sig Fender J Bass and i absolutly love it but when i turn the volume all the way up on one pick up and down on the other i get a really bad hum/buzz.
    I probably should have posted this in pickups but I've seen tonnes of Geddy posts in here and figure there's gotta be someone that knows what's going on.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Most jazz basses are like that. The pickups need to be at the same volume or you will get hum.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Turock is correct. The Geddy Lee has single coil pickups & when you solo a pick up, you will get was known as "60 cycle hum".

4. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    thanks guys i just wanted to make sure i didn't get a lemon

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    the good news is that in some rooms you can kind of turn your body to a certain angle and the hum will be pretty minimal!

well, not really good news... but oh well...
    :D

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    thats why there nicknamed "hum cancelling"when both p/ups are turned all the way up,the cancel out each others 'HUM' henceforth the name 'HUMBUCKER":D
    ps good luck w/ the bass its a real good model and you will enjoy it(i wish i had one :bawl: :bawl: )

7. My Geddy does the same thing - but, as superphat mentioned, you certainly can avoid it by finding a spot in the room where you're not picking up any hum... good luck!

--jeff

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    They don't have to be turned all the way up, they just have to be turned the same.