Geddy Lee fretless conversion or warwick corvette fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sprudellio, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002

The title pretty much says it: Do you think it's a good idea to defret the geddy or should I buy a corvette fretless?
    I'm looking for a bright sounding fretless, strings will probably be TI Jazzrounds.
  2. I'd be nervous about defretting such a thin neck. If money isn't the issue, I'd get the 'Vette. Plus that way if you ever decide to ditch either bass, each is still what it originally was.
  3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I would not de-fret the Geddy due to the block inlays in the neck. You will not have a consistant sound. A general rule of most fretless bass is no inlays on the fretboard (unless they fall between the strings) to change the sound.....
  4. stevo

stevo Guest

Nov 12, 2002
    Jax FL
    By one means should a geddy ever be defretted, it almost demeans the bass,and if you are gonna go warwick, go all out, get a thumb.
  5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`d recommend to go with the Corvette. I`ve owned one and had a fretless sound that`s difficult ot match in that price segment.
    I guess the ebony fretboard has a lot to do with that.
  6. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    I'm usually all for DIY experiments on your bass, but defretting a Geddy might be a little more complicated. Have you defretted a finished maple neck before? I once inherited a badly defretted Bullet bass and I refilled the slots, replaned the board, and refinished it. It was a pain. As someone previously posted, I would be a little worried about the thinness of the neck. I would buy a fretless.
  7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    the fretless corvette's are amazing. They play well, and sound great! Definitely go with the warwick.
  8. Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    The inlays on the fretboard aren't real, they're just decals as far as I know, and the neck is very stable.

I wouldn't defret the bass myself, I'd have it done by a luthier I know, of whom I'm sure that he can handle it. I figured the finish on the fretboard would be like a epoxy coating, he would just have to refinish the whole thing.

There's no way I'll ever sell the geddy, so loss of value is no problem.

OTOH-damn those corvettes are nice... I only played the fretted version, but most of the people here say that it's even nicer as a fretless.
    The thumb is much too expensive for me. I think I'll save up the money for the corvette...

Attached Files:

9. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    How about a fretless neck for your geddy? If you're already looking to dump money on a Warwick.
  10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Older Geddy models are real inlays. The newer models are painted on......
  11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    The inlays are real.

I'm not sure who keeps this silly urban ledgend going around, but the inlays and binding on the geddy lee's (and sx's for that matter) are not fake painted or decals. Some folks see the a bit of irregularity and mistake leeked dark glue for paint.

As for the refrett, don't do it. If you want to go frettless, you don't want to be playing on polyurethane (or plastic inlays if you have the poly stripped). Get a good rosewood or ebony board frettless. It will be worth it.

The only way it might work is to have an epoxy treatment, and even that is a fairly expensive process to have done well.

Finally, if you really want to mod the jazz, get a new neck from warmoth. Geddy necks are pretty in demand right now, and you could pobably sell the geddy neck and pay for a warmoth neck and it's instalation and setup from a luthier, and maybe have some cash left over.
  12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    No, Fender changed them. I've seen a post from someone who cut a neck and showed the inlay was real, but then another post where they found out Fender changed over to paint a few years back.